addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

KC Metropolitan Skeptics Message Board › Meetup details changed: Reason and Religion: Are They Incompatible?

Meetup details changed: Reason and Religion: Are They Incompatible? - guest speaker from Harvard

Kansas City S.
user 6125311
Overland Park, KS
http://skeptics.meetu...­
When: Saturday, January 16, 2010 7:00 PM
Where:
Black Dog Coffee House
12815 W 87th St
Lenexa, KS 66215
913-894-4024

We'll have a guest speaker - Liam - a Master's Student in Theology from Harvard . The speaker is a Christian, so the topic promises to be interesting...

Original topic "Mystical Christianity" has been changed to " Reason and Religion: Are They Incompatible?"

In this talk I will explore the philosophical basis of atheistic and theistic positions while asking whether or not atheism should hold pride of place as the most “obvious” worldview. In so doing, I will place physical science, philosophy, and theology in a wider metaphysical and epistemological context.

My name is Liam Higgins. I graduated summa cum laude from Rockhurst University in 2009 with my B.A. in Philosophy and Theology. I currently attend Harvard Divinity School where I am pursuing an M.T.S. degree with a focus on the history of Christianity. I plan to continue on into doctoral work in historical theology. My research interests include philosophy of religion, patristics, monasticism, and Christian mysticism.

As for my personal religious background, I was raised in the Baptist church. However, today my theology is drawn primarily from Eastern Christianity which includes the Eastern Orthodox, Eastern Catholic, Oriental Orthodox, and Syriac churches.

COLE MORGAN
913 961 3291

If the changes affect your plans to attend, please take a moment to update your RSVP. (You can RSVP "No" or "Maybe" as well as "Yes".)

You can always get in touch with me through the "Contact Organizer" link on Meetup: http://skeptics.meetu...­