Let's hike to the popular Switzer Falls, then onto the more remote Bear Canyon Campground. Some may consider taking a dip in the swimming holes we'll pass along the way.
I'll be a newb to this hike, so tips/suggestions about the trail and what to prepare for are welcome. From my research, I would warn people that 1) parking may be challenging because of the area's popularity (carpool), 2) flies may be a nuisance (bug spray, unscented products), and 3) the trail gets rugged after Switzer Falls. I strongly suggest that everyone who joins be well informed and conditioned for this hike.
As with all hikes/events, please observe the group rules and guidelines, which are located in the main menu under "Pages".
– 7 miles total (out & back)
– 4 hours (depending on length of rests)
– moderate, but a few difficult spots after Switzer Falls
– well maintained (and potentially crowded) trail to Switzer Falls; then rocky trail, stream crossings, fallen logs, and boulder hopping to Bear Canyon Campground
– partially shaded
– Adventure Pass (http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/r5/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5208699&width=full) required for parking at Switzer's Picnic Area