SoCal Jazz Academy Big Band (SJABB) is a semi-professional community big band that performs classic and modern jazz repertoire from swing to fusion. Regular performances in Orange County and larger Southern California give participants an opportunity to perform live and continue their engagement with the lifelong process of music education in jazz performance and improvisation. Our members are SoCal Jazz Academy faculty, seasoned pros, and amateur musicians from our community.
• The placement within section will be at the discretion of the Director on as-needed basis and based on prelimenary a) in-person interview/audition or b) rehearsal participation. In the event of part duplication, we will attempt to rotate the players in good earnest and place extra players on the first-call substitute list.
• To schedule an interview/audition please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 1-833-SCJ-ACAD. You can also RSVP to one of the Ope House rehearsals that will be held first Monday of each month March-April-May.
• As of this writing there's no fee to attend rehearsals. However, we are currently evaluating several options to cover costs of operations inlcuding fundraising and grant applications. Please stay tuned for further announcements as our membership list stabilizes and positions get filled.
WHERE/HOW OFTEN WE MEET:
• Lyceum Village, 14281 Chambers Rd, Tustin, CA 92780
• Mondays, 7-9PM
• Kawai Acoustic Grand Piano
• Acoustic Image Guitar/Bass Amp
• Gretsch Catalina Jazz Drumset (w/ Zildjian A Custom Cymbals) & Congas