addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

South Bay Snowboarders Meetup Group Message Board › Introduce Youself, Round TWO!!!

Introduce Youself, Round TWO!!!

Closed to new replies

Mari
mari_t
Group Organizer
Campbell, CA
Post #: 25
I like Meegan's idea of introducing ourselves before the start of the season, so I'm going to start a new discussion thread since there are a lot of new members as well as some who are no longer part of the group.

First of all, as your organizer, I promise to:
**Organize trips as much as possible until the season ends! This includes day trips, weekend trips, group cabin trips, as well as midweek powder day trips (*cough, cough* I don't feel good, I can't possibly go in to work today... :)
**Listen to your suggestions. Since many of us have a Kirkwood season pass, most of the trips I plan will be for South Lake Tahoe. But that doesn't mean that you should be limited to what I plan :) I would love for other people to spearhead events and you're welcome to organize them through this group site. In those cases, I would make you an "event organizer."

So now... please answer the following questions and INTRODUCE YOURSELF!

1. Are you a beginner, intermediate, or advanced boarder (or skier)? What kind of rider are you (cruising blues, bomb down runs, riding trees, hitting the park, etc)

2. Are you willing to teach newbies who want to learn how to snowboard? If so, have you done it before and have had success??? Many people who are willing to teach someone how to board aren't really ABLE to! You need to know how to break everything down and most of all, you need to be patient.

3. What are the best times for you to go up to snow? Midweek/Weekends/Day Trips/All of the Above!

4. Do you have a 4wd/awd or a car with snow tires/chains and are willing to take passengers? If so, in what area do you live and how many passengers could you take? If you're strictly a passenger, what areas are you willing to drive to in order to catch a ride with someone else?

5. Do you know of cheap lodging that would be accessible to the group at some point? Also, I will plan a cabin trip or two this season but obviously can't reserve multiple properties at the same time. Therefore, I would like to know who else would be willing to reserve a property in your name for group cabin trips (this would involve putting your credit card down, signing the rental contract, and collecting money)?

Looking forward to sharing a great winter season with all of you!
~Mari
Mari
mari_t
Group Organizer
Campbell, CA
Post #: 26
I'll go first :)

1) My name is Mari which is simply pronounced "Mary" (it's short for Maritess), and I'm an advanced boarder who loves to do it all! Cruising, bombing down runs, steeps, jumping into the trees, and even a little of the park (little jumps and box rails). What I would love to do this season is take a lesson and learn how to take bigger jumps and do cool tricks in the terrain park :)

2) I'm willing to teach and have been very successful at it, but I will only do so at Kirkwood on a Friday morning when the snow is pretty soft. You WILL spend a lot of time falling on your butt/knees/hands as a beginner, so might as well have a nice cushion.

3) The best times for me to go to the snow is ALL THE TIME! Let me know if you have a job which allows you to take off midweek with little notice :)

4) I have a 4runner this season and willing to drive people who come to my house in Campbell/San Jose, but also like to change it up and catch rides with others.

5) I recommend getting a player's card for Harvey's/Harrah's because you can get some good deals on cheap rooms (or even FREE comped rooms!) at the beginning or ending of the season as well as midweek. And of course I will be setting up a cabin trip or two for everyone this season.

A former member
Post #: 2
Yay im next.

1: My name is Jeff which rhymes with Orange and is pronounced "Mr Wonderful". Besides being handsome, smart, funny, and immature, i am also humble. I would consider myself intermediate skill level. I enjoy going up when it is storming and like riding in the tree sections in the deep fluff. I have been riding for 4 seasons now if my math is correct.

2: I am down to teach people what i know or what i think i know. My riding style isnt for everyone so i doubt i'll get many takers, but i am patient and really enjoy watching people improve. I have gotten 3 folks to board a lot more and become much more comfortable. Id like to think i had a hand in that.

3: I can go up pretty much anytime. therefore i prefer to avoid the weekend crowds. If it is storming or a large dumping is coming, i'll be heading up. Day trips or weekend trips are both fine with me.

4: I have a few 4wd/awd vehicles to choose from. I prefer to take my subie which is comfy for myself and 2 mid-small people and like to split the gas. If more than that want to go or larger framed people want a ride i'll take a truck and can take 3 full sized folks. If i have 3 passengers i ask that they pay for gas, with 3 people it is cheap enough and i am going through a fair amount of hassle anyways so i think its fair. Im not a natzi though, so we'll work it out.

5: Lodging. I have a place to stay for myself but i am not in the position to invite others. sorry charlie.
A former member
Post #: 1
Greetings! Hope to see y'all on the slopes! I am generally of the "get up very early, get back very late" crowd ... I don't mind driving while you are snoozing (chatting would be better, but I enjoy the scenery as I drive) but I will generally be on the road by o'five-dark to hit the KW lifts at 8:30 and won't leave the slopes until the snowcats chase me down the hill at 5:00pm or so. Evenings I'm more flexible, there are good places in Jackson to eat and again, you can snooze while I relax ...

1. Are you a beginner, intermediate, or advanced boarder (or skier)? What kind of rider are you (cruising blues, bomb down runs, riding trees, hitting the park, etc)

Advanced blue/ easy black on softboots (regular), advanced blue on softboots (switch), easy blues on hardboots (I am a member of TahoeCarvers, one of those people who aspires to Eurocarve). I prefer trees, easy moguls and powder on softboot (I have a 190cm LibTech Doughboy just for that reason), carving on hardboot and have done some bombing runs on both ... about the only thing I avoid is parks (bad experiences in the halfpipe) ...

2. Are you willing to teach newbies who want to learn how to snowboard? If so, have you done it before and have had success??? Many people who are willing to teach someone how to board aren't really ABLE to! You need to know how to break everything down and most of all, you need to be patient.

Sure! I can adjust what I'm doing based on the terrain and people and *love* teaching people to snowboard ... it's actually more challenging than just making tracks.

3. What are the best times for you to go up to snow? Midweek/Weekends/Day Trips/All of the Above!

Weekend daytrip is best, leave early and get back late. Exceptions are powder days -- those are *always* "go" days, even if I have to move the snowplows out of the way!

4. Do you have a 4wd/awd or a car with snow tires/chains and are willing to take passengers? If so, in what area do you live and how many passengers could you take?

Yes to all; 4WD vehicle with chains which can carry five with full gear loaded on carriers and external racks. Passengers are good, paying ones better (it's 30gal gas total there and back) and people who can carry a conversation get return invites! Bonus points if the passengers don't mind making some runs with me during the day! I live mid-peninsula, basically Hwy 92 and 101 and generally rendevous at the Costco parking lot in Foster City at around o-dark 4:30 ...

5. Do you know of cheap lodging that would be accessible to the group at some point? Also, I will plan a cabin trip or two this season but obviously can't reserve multiple properties at the same time. Therefore, I would like to know who else would be willing to reserve a property in your name for group cabin trips (this would involve putting your credit card down, signing the rental contract, and collecting money)?

No; cheapest is in Jackson and that has too much traffic to be of use ... daytripper here, leave very early and get back very late ...

Mari
mari_t
Group Organizer
Campbell, CA
Post #: 28
I guess we really need to emphasize that it is a RULE that people split gas costs for rideshares to Tahoe!!! We are going to try to see if charging $5 each (will go to drivers) on top of gas costs will encourage more people to volunteer to drive. Then again, whatever the driver decides is more important, so if Jeff wants his passengers to split the total cost between themselves that is his prerogative.

Also, since I'm thinking about it, please read the "ASSUMPTION OF RISK and WAIVER OF LIABILITY" that is in the "About" Section!
A former member
Hey everyone,
My name is Kerry. I just moved to San Jose from LA where I lived n worked the past summer. Until this past May, I lived n grew up in NY. I am a travel Physical therapist n am so happy Im staying in San Jose for the winte bc on my bucket list (yes I have one written out!) was to always snowboard in Tahoe...n here is my chance....Im stoked!!!!! I was gonna move home n just get a season pass to Mtn Creek in NJ n head to VT like I do every year....but then...I found this group n am so happy I did bc now Im gonna stay here for the winter.....just so I can ride every wknd at Tahoe!! n so to answer the questions......

1. Im an advanced snowboarder. Ive been riding for 12 years since 9th grade! Sometimes I cruise n take pics n sometimes I bomb the mtn. I ride everything.....blues, blacks, glades.....etc. Im not a fan of double blacks bc they are really made for skiers with the moguls n all....but I have been known to do a few doubles n some mogul runs here n there when I feel like working up a sweat n jumping a lot. Growing up back east I can ride packed powder, granular, n of course slush that turns to ice at night...lol. Back there the mtns r a lot smaller, so I got bored with freeride at an early age n headed to the park...which I LOVE!! I hit and small jump n of course medium size jumps, table tops, dance floors, jibs, boxes (straight, rollercoaster, kinked) straight rails...etc. I am pretty good with the grabs. I can do a method n mute. All last season I worked on riding switch n landing a 180 (yeah its lame...lol but rotations r hard for me...much tougher than grabs). I dont get a lot of air, but I do manage to pull this stuff off. I have not rode powder since I went to college up in Syracuse NY years ago n it was sooooo different than what I am used to. I had to float the board!! AWESOME!! Its no wonder why everyone out here likes freeriding so much better then the park! lol. Im dying to ride in that knee deep powder now that Im out here!!!

2.I am very patient n always willing to teach. I have taken friends out in the past n tried teaching them, but the best teaching I found besides supplying the basics n carving techniques is just letting them figure it out. I never rode before n in 9th grade said "im gonna learn this", went out, bought a board n threw myself on the mtn n threw myself to the wolves. No teacher, no lesson. A few days of eating it big time paid off!!

3. I work M-F so def on the wknds.....preferably every wknd if I buy a season pass! I dont mind going out for the wknd n leaving on a Fri or leaving early Sat n spending just a day n coming home after. As long as I get to go!

4. I have a hyundai accent n never heard of chains till I came here lol...so I would be a passenger. Im willing to drive ANYWHERE in the bay area in order to go!!! Beggers cant be choosers!!

5. Im not willing to do this bc I just moved here n dont know any lodging. Just lemme know though....bc Im always down for a cabin or wknd trip!!!!!

Look forward to meeting everyone!

A former member
Hi I'm sQweeks! Before I was telling jokes as a comedian, I boarded! lol I'm out in San Jose, and have been in the bay area most of my life. I perform at the Improv and where ever they'll take me/book me. I fell in love with snowboarding a lil late in the game, but once I did it for the first time, the whip lash was well worth it. Ok maybe not the whiplash but definitely the rush.

1. I started a few years ago and have been addicted ever since, I would say I'm an intermediate snowboarder. Mostly like to just cruise and bomb down runs!

2. YUP I'm down to teach and I have had success teaching newbies. One of the last two I taught bought a snowboard the following week. :)

3. ALL OF THE ABOVE! I'm down to go whenever but i do need some heads up though. I have a pretty flexible schedule, as long as I know at least two weeks in advance.

4. I have a 4WD, and willing to take passengers but i also dont mind riding up.

5. I've done the organizing thing before and I don't particularly enjoy it. Organizing is cool just not for me, too much responsiblity. I will definitely partake in the activities and do what I can to help. Just not as a point of contact.

Ciao!
sQweeks

A former member
Hey all,

My name is Eilbret pronounced Eelbret or you can call be Bert (long story)

Sad thing is I have never been snowboarding or skiing so I have no clue if I cruising blues, bomb down runs, riding trees, hitting the park, etc (very sad I know).

So I really want to try it out and learn this year.

Best time for me to go is on weekends. With my job I really can not skip out midweek to go to tahoe

I can be a driver and take passengers. I have 4wd jeep grand cherokee laredo.
As a passenger I'm willing to drive to catch a ride.

A former member
Hello, my name is Alaina and I am new to the group!

1. I am a beginning snowboarder. I snowboarded for the first time about two years ago and loved it. I have been snowboarding about another 3 or 4 times since then. I am still learning and loving it. (I ride greens and blues) I just bought myself a snowboard, bindings and boots!

2. I don't have the ability to teach others to snowboard, but I would welcome someone teaching me or helping me out. smile

3. I can do weekend trips and trips during school holidays (I work at a school).

4. I do not have a car with 4wd/awd. I would be willing to drive pretty much anywhere in the South and East Bay and up the Peninsula to carpool as a passenger.

5. I do not know of lodging options, but would be willing to help with researching/planning etc.

I am very excited to get on the slopes this year and to meet new people as well! I would also love to connect with other beginner snowboarders and anyone willing to help out beginner snowboarders. smileAlaina

Jeff (.
number9
Pleasanton, CA
1. I'm an intermediate boarder, cruising blues and some blacks. I'm always open to trying out tips on riding in/on more advanced terrain.

2. A light went on for me after trying the technique described in "No-Fall Snowboarding" by Danny Martin. It still works for me, and this is what I would teach any newbie. The technique is easy to learn, and different from what you learn from a sanctioned instructor. In a nutshell, the key elements of the technique are: 1) stand in balanced neutral position (knees flexed, back upright) with 51% of your weight on the front foot, 2) shoulders straight in-line with the board, 3) raise the front shoulder and lower the rear shoulder to make a heel-side turn, and 4) lower the front shoulder and raise the rear shoulder to make a toe-side turn. That's it. You'll soon be carving up the groomers with a big wide grin on your face; and those nightmares of body slams after catching an edge will finally go away. Check out the videos on YouTube, and read the book if you can find it:

No-Fall Snowboarding: http://www.youtube.co...­
No-Fall Snowboarding Channel: http://www.youtube.co...­
Book: http://www.amazon.com...­

Also, I'd be happy to watch over your progress---just let me know.

3. It depends on work and what is going on at home, but I almost always go up for a day trip on the weekend. Over a long holiday, I may go for a weekday day trip too. Also, there is a good chance that I will go on any day on/after a huge dump of snow.

4. I have a 2004 Subaru Outback AWD with M+S tires, plus heated seats in the front, but only a standard CD/FM radio (so don't forget your mp3 player). I enjoy driving, prefer to drive, and try to drive safely. The Subie can hold me and two (2) passengers comfortably, one more in a pinch, and the gear gets stored inside. I usually leave no later than 5:30 AM, and can meet near I-580 and Santa Rita in Pleasanton or along the way if more convenient.

5. Sorry, I am not privy to any cheap lodging.