Welcome to the Philly movement arts community-supported meetup group!
Maintained by your friends at The Philadelphia Spin Coalition!
We are 6,000 hobbyists, performers, trend-setters, and supporters of movement arts that seek opportunities for greater self-awareness, community, and health.
HERE you will find movement arts classes run by a variety of studios and gyms located in Greater Philadelphia. Some are hosted by SpinCo, others are hosted by members of our community.
Follow this Meetup! Or become a free member at SpinCo.org. We program 2-3 events a month:
○ Street Circus Guest Workshops: Learn how easy it is to have fun with a prop. Season runs September through April, held among 14 partnering venues in the tri-state.
○ Pop Up & Spin Philly!: Always the 1st Sunday of Every Month. We will never ask more than $5 public entry to participate in open spins+gyms at various locations in PA, NJ, and DE.
○ SpinCo Together: An Interactive volunteer-run performance project adults and children who experience mental, emotional, and behavioral disorders and intellectual disabilities. Directed by a licensed social worker, volunteers will work with existing non-profit agencies in Greater Philadelphia that must prioritize all funding for operations in order to exist.
○ Open Flame in Closed Spaces: Resources to help bridge the gap between market demand and hirable artists through fire education and advocacy. If you tag #hirefire when making posts online related to fire safety, you will rank higher in searches.
○ Community Forums: Participate daily or tune into weekly open discussions that address important issues the local movement arts community faces. Topics include, but not limited to, advertising, safety, health, copywrite law and other legal constitutes.
What is The Philadelphia Spin Coalition?
We celebrate movement in spectacular ways! The Coalition is run by volunteers whose primary purpose is to bring together folks in the Philadelphia area interested in the Flow Arts and Circus Arts so they can learn and train together in a safe & supportive environment.
To our friends, we are known as SpinCo. Here's why:
SpinCo was created by flow artists who were frustrated with the lack of available space to learn and practice in. We started in a public warehouse space in South Philadelphia (the main reason why sometimes the "SP" in "SPin" is capitalized). Now, we offer classes, spin jams, and workshops across the city and surrounding regions at various studios and spaces.
Our movement arts focus is practicing while using a prop. We blend play, creativity and exercise with Hula Hoop Dance, Contact/Martial Art Bo Staff, Poi, Juggling, Aerial Acrobatics, Fan Dancing, Fire Performance and many more!
We invite local up-and-coming artists up to internationally performing talent to teach adults in Philly. We make strong effort in inform and remind our community of these workshop, as many are a one time deal! When booked, we consult the instructor on advertising and promotion while providing administrative needs to ensure a positive experience for all.
We believe that:
○ Philly has INCREDIBLE talent and in order for them to stay in Philly, they need to be compensated fairly.
○ In order for high quality performing artists to continually be drawn to Philly to teach, they must be well-compensated and provided a professional experience.
○ EVERYONE should have the opportunity to try and learn movement arts and are provided the BEST resources to make it a practice or profession.
How does SpinCo work to ensure that happens?
○ 14 volunteers who are experts in research, writing, graphic design, promotion, teaching, healthcare, performing, advertising, finance, law, and business administration that ALL personally dedicate their life to the arts.
○ 14 venue and studio partners who open their space in support and severely discount rental rates for our teachers.
○ 11 prop crafters who constantly evolve their technology in order to provide the best tools.
What can I expect from classes listed in this Meetup?
SpinCo values accessibility and affordability when it comes to creating flow arts events. We believe the entire community should be exposed to this art form, and try to create experiences in various neighborhoods and at different price ranges to meet the needs of every type of participant. SpinCo is for everyone.
For more information, visit http://www.spincoalition.com
SpinCo's NEW partner venue boasting padded flooring and mirrors.
Beautiful hot yoga space for meditative practice
Awesome space in North Philly designed for leaps and acrobatics
Quality, custom made practice and performance hoops
Offering high quality photography and video services
Offering dependable flow props in the Philadelphia and DE area
12,287 Fun People
1,818 True Warriors!!
3,487 Artists & Art Enthusiasts