addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Squidwrench hackerspace Message Board › Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

A former member
Post #: 25
I mentioned the book Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs at tonight's meetup. I highly recommend it for both novice and experienced programmers. It is available online for free at MIT Press and can also be purchased in hardcopy.

It has no knowledge prerequistes and uses the Scheme programming language, available here. If you read through the entire book and do all the exercises you will implement, among other things, a symbolic differentiator and a LISP (or Scheme) interpreter, which isn't bad for only five chapters.
A former member
Post #: 1
Here is the link to the MIT OpenCourseWare class that follows this book: MIT 6.001, Spring 2005
A former member
Post #: 26
I have been thinking about moderating a "book club" type of deal for this book. We'd meet weekly and work through the book, maybe a third of a chapter at a time. My role would only be to facilitate the meetings and keep the momentum going; I don't presume to be able to teach the material in the book. Anyone who is interested should contact me.