Greetings fellow stock investors!!
We have now reached our maximum attendees of 45 for our Stock Investing Meetup
next Wednesday, May 1st and we now have a waiting list of people eager to attend.
If you have not RSVP'd because the Meetup is full, please RSVP "YES" and you will be placed on the waiting list.
If you have already RSVP'd "YES", but can NOT attend, please change your RSVP to "NO" so that others may attend
If you haven't yet RSVP'd and can not attend, I would encourage you to RSVP "NO"
, so that we know you are still interested and so that the Meetup.com people don 't drop you
from the group after a certain number of months of inactivity.
I'm very excited about next week's Meetup - we have lots to cover, so please plan to arrive on time, as we will start promptly at 7pm (the room is open as early as 6 pm if you wish to arrive early). Allow yourself a little extra travel time if this is your first time attending our Meetup at the GSU Brookhaven facility. Free parking is available in the lot behind the building.
As always, invest your time to learn, before you invest your dollars to earn!
PS - If someone can arrive about 15-30 minutes early to help me with the sign-in and registration process, I would greatly appreciate it!
PPS - If you would like to send me an email, please send it to [address removed]. If you hit "REPLY" to this email, it will be sent to the entire Meetup group!
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: William Lyman <[address removed]>
Date: Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Subject: Stock Investing Meetup - NEW DETAILS!!!! (Please READ!)
To: AAII Stock Investing Meetup - All <[address removed]>
1) We need to change the date of our Stock Investing Meetup FROM next Tuesday TO Wednesday, May 1, 2013, 7pm
. Same Location - GSU Brookhaven Campus (on P'tree just north of Oglethorpe University). Free parking in the lot behind the building. See our Meetup site for location details.
2) We have an incredible agenda planned
for our kick-off meeting:
- An overview of using fundamental-based factors to make money investing in common stocks. This is a powerful method of investing for the individual investor.
- We will briefly look at the returns of more exotic (and typically more expensive and riskier) investments like hedge funds, venture capital and private equity - and compare those returns with those available in common stocks.
- We will explore the notion that "It is NOT a stock market, it is a market of stocks" - in other words, there is a wide dispersion of returns and risk among individual stocks for any particular time period.
- We will conduct an overview of the 60 different stock screens ("recipes") that AAII has outlined and covered since January 1998 and see how to profitably use them in our own investing. Keep in mind the past 10-12 years has been called the "lost decade",
including 2 periods of big losses for stocks in 2000 and 2008. Come see how the stock screens performed during this challenging period (HINT: Fantastic!). If this doesn't get your blood pumping, nothing will.
- We will select one or two screens and perform a deep analysis of the stock screen over the past 10+ years.
- We will examine building a portfolio of two or more stock screens to achieve higher returns and/or less risk.
- We will provide water, soft drinks and light snacks so that your body can keep up with your brain during this session! ;-) Of course you are welcome to bring your own snack or dinner too.
3) We have several exciting topics available for follow-on sessions
later this year:
- Portfolio construction - after I find compelling stocks to buy, how do I build a portfolio of them?
- Shorting stocks - how do I make money in stocks that are *falling* in price? How do I build a portfolio of both LONG and SHORT stocks? How do I measure and identify the risks?
- Valuation - how do we measure the value of a company and its stock and use that information in our investing.
- Fundamental stock evaluation - how to read financial statements and SEC filing documents (10-K, 8-K, proxy, etc.)
- Use of price & volume (technical analysis techniques) to increase profitability in investing.
- Comparing trading styles - day trading, swing trading, position trading, and buy-n-hold. Which is the best for YOUR goals and temperament?
- And many more topics. Stay with us for the ride - it will be a blast!!
4) We will be raffling off some great books/tools. All attendees will be eligible for the drawing(s).
5) I will be using a new software platform, Equities Lab, during my presentation to illustrate stock screening, evaluation and back-testing concepts. We will have the one of the developers and founders, Henry Crutcher, on hand to assist us with the software. Anyone interested in using the software in "beta testing" capacity over the next several weeks and providing feedback should let me know at the meeting or shortly thereafter.
6) Drop me a line if you have any thoughts or questions. Most importantly, I expect that we will max out at 45 attendees, so please UPDATE your RSVP status
to confirm that you are attending or RSVP "No" if you can't make it this time around. Thanks for coming along on this journey - this is going to be an exciting year of stock investing meetup sessions!