addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Indianapolis Sushi Meetup Group Message Board › Where would you like to go?

Where would you like to go?

Gabriel C.
user 5926805
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 2
Recently I read a review for a relatively new sushi restaurant in Indianapolis's east side. Oishi Sushi. They have been around for about four months now and seem very enthusiastic about having a group make a visit. I have eaten there twice already and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think you can add them to the list of hidden and supremely local gems.
A former member
Post #: 4
Agreed! I get lunch there frequently. Always a treat! Kinda dead at lunch but their product is good.
A former member
Post #: 1
Has anyone tried Tomo near Keystone and 74th yet? I think it's new as of last year but I haven't tried it yet. I saw some pretty favorable reviews on yelp. If there's interest, maybe it can be a future meetup location? Thanks!
Melissa / R.
Melissa-Red
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 2
Has anyone heard anything about the new little sushi bar inside Lulu's at Keystone crossing? I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.
A former member
Post #: 69
Something interesting I've noticed is that American favorite Japanese establishments and native Japanese favorite places are often very different. Americans seem to like either the cult owned restaurants or the contemporary and fashionable decor places.

Having been dragged to nearly every Japanese restaurant and sushi seller in Indy in search of the proverbial rice meal that Japanese must eat, the most JAPAN like foods can be found at Sansui in Carmel. Although likely one of the oldest restaurants around Indy, Japanese companies entertain and throw parties there for big whigs and native staff. Its important to go knowing that good food takes time and one cannot be in a rush to eat. Service is slow due not to wait staff, but due to a shortage of kitchen staff. Never the less, I believe Japanese still go there because their goal is quality control. And its Japanese culture to eat slowly having things come to the table one by one, so they can enjoy conversation together.

A little restuarant that has improved like night and day is SushiYama in Noblesville. Ownership has changed hands across relatives. As of two weeks ago, everything from decor to food to service was significantly better. The only issue we had was the sushi chef did not make a sushi item mild as the waitress offered and promised. But they quickly fixed the issue. And native Japanese in my party were quite satisfied.

A former member
I have yet to attend a meetup for this group, but heartily second SushiYama as a good choice. The few times I've eaten there, the sushi and service have been good and the prices affordable. Plus, its about a mile from my house so very convenient!
A former member
Tomo is my favorite place...and then Sakura.
Stephanie
Snefferdoodle
Noblesville, IN
Post #: 21
Something interesting I've noticed is that American favorite Japanese establishments and native Japanese favorite places are often very different. Americans seem to like either the cult owned restaurants or the contemporary and fashionable decor places.

Having been dragged to nearly every Japanese restaurant and sushi seller in Indy in search of the proverbial rice meal that Japanese must eat, the most JAPAN like foods can be found at Sansui in Carmel. Although likely one of the oldest restaurants around Indy, Japanese companies entertain and throw parties there for big whigs and native staff. Its important to go knowing that good food takes time and one cannot be in a rush to eat. Service is slow due not to wait staff, but due to a shortage of kitchen staff. Never the less, I believe Japanese still go there because their goal is quality control. And its Japanese culture to eat slowly having things come to the table one by one, so they can enjoy conversation together.

A little restuarant that has improved like night and day is SushiYama in Noblesville. Ownership has changed hands across relatives. As of two weeks ago, everything from decor to food to service was significantly better. The only issue we had was the sushi chef did not make a sushi item mild as the waitress offered and promised. But they quickly fixed the issue. And native Japanese in my party were quite satisfied.

I really appreciate your post! I live close to SushiYama and have wanted to go there. Now that I know more about it, I definitely will go!