addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

SyncNorwich - Norwich's Tech + Startup Community Message Board Jobs, Projects, Collaborations › Advice - Contract Developers

Advice - Contract Developers

Jon W.
Jon_Witte
Norwich, GB
Post #: 2
Hi, all. May I pick your collective brains?

We have a lot on at the moment and are getting a little short of developer resource - not enough to justify another full-timer, but there's one project that looks like it'd suit a temporary coder and relieve a bit of the pressure.

Now, this is not an avenue we've been down before - always gone for full time staff. I'd appreciate any tips/gotchas and horror/success stories that you'd like to share when employing contract staff.

Thanks, and a prosperous new year to you all :)

Jon
Daniel H.
user 74251062
Norwich, GB
Post #: 1
Hi Jon

A good tip is make sure you vet the candidates suitability for the role, don't just assume that as they are a contractor they are fully suitable for the role.

You have 2 ways you can go about getting a contractor either directly from the market or from a agency. If you go direct from the market you can negotiate around cost which which can be an advantage if you are on a tight budget but you do need to do the leg work around interviews yourself. The second option is an agency where you will normally pay an standard rate based on the type of resource you are looking for but the big advantage is that agencies will normally do most of the interviews for you so you can be more confident they are suitable for the role.

What kind of developer are you looking a for as I may be able to recommend some people or agencies.

Thanks
Dan
A former member
Post #: 3
Hello Jon,
There is so much advice to give that my suggestion would be to just use a small project as a learning experience. Then come back with more specific questions smile

Were you thinking of hiring someone who will be working on-site, or someone fairly local but who works from home, or someone more remote that you never meet face-to-face and all communication is email/phone/skype? The latter two are not that different, but they do require a different communication style than working with someone on-site.

The worst case is you invest time finding someone, getting someone up to speed, pay them, and then need to do their work yourself again. That is not meant to put you off: I've worked both as a freelancer, and as someone hiring freelancers, and the best case is really good: you only pay them for what you need, when you need them, they contribute nothing to overheads, they are like a black box where you tell them what you need and it gets delivered on-time.

Communication is key - my favourite clients are those who know exactly what they want and can describe it in words I can understand. You must know how to write a good clear technical spec.
Jon W.
Jon_Witte
Norwich, GB
Post #: 3
Thanks, gents...

About what I expected, really! Daniel - if I could take you up on any recs for temp agencies; it's a .Net bod I'm after.

Thanks again,

Jon