The Wednesday night ride is back and better than ever!
Summer is here! The days are getting longer and start time is now 6:30 p.m. to help more people get to the ride. Sunset is @ 8:56, which should give us time to get in the full route (as described below), or a slightly longer ride more for the faster bikers.
We will meet at the parking lot of the Big Rivers Regional Trail - West Trailhead: Overlook parking entrance is off Sibley Memorial Highway just northwest of the intersection of Highway 13 and Mendota Heights Road in Mendota Heights, MN (a link to a map is below). There is free, limited parking available at the stone overlook - leave time for parking in case the lot is full.
Of course anything can happen with the weather, so watch this site for any updates.
The standard ride will be about 21 miles at a moderate 15-16 mph pace, with a few planned stops to get every one together. Those who know the route and want to go faster may go ahead, just check in with the ride leader so nobody is waiting or worried about you.
• On trail towards Mendota and across the Mendota Bridge
• Into Fort Snelling
• Through Minnehaha
• Up West river road to Lake Street (Option to cross lake street - 19 miles)
• Up West River Road to Franklin Ave (Option to cross Franklin - 21 miles)
• Down East River Road
• Crossing 35E to LilyDale
• Down to the Big River Trail
• Back to the starting parking lot and off to Lucky's we go!!!
Depending on the group the group or part of the group may do the shorter route to cross the river at lake street bridge. If any riders are feeling ambitious and know the route well, there are welcome to add extra miles or skip a planned stop, just be sure to check in with the ride leader.
As the season progresses the ride may be lengthened by crossing the river at the Stone Arch Bridge, or adding Hidden Falls / Crosby Farms trails; however they are often under water or mud during the early spring.
• The mini-shortcut across the Minnehaha Creek bridge through the Veterans Home parking lot is blocked off due to construction. No word on how long that will last.
• The river bottom has been full (4 feet or so in spots) of water. That will take a while to get the river back to normal levels, and after that the mud will need to be cleaned up. So don't go down until things are cleared up, unless you are quite ready for a biking challenge.
ONGOING RIDE NOTES:
• Helmets are required - please bring and wear a properly fit helmet.
• All riders need to have a signed waiver on file. Previous riders do not have to fill out a new form, but new riders to the group need to fill out a waiver. Here is the link to the form: http://files.meetup.com/1152206/TCBMWaiver.doc. It is always more efficient to bring along a completed form; or someone will may have blank forms for the first few rides.
• Bring a functional spare tube and bike lights.
• Afterward, we can have some social time with a beverage and/or a bite at Lucky's 13 one of our group sponsors. Lucky's 13: http://www.luckys13pub.com
• Bring your sense of humor and adventure.