Location visible to members
The regular Monday night fitness ride is back for 2014!
• Starting place is now at Pizza Luce parking, no longer Aquila School
• After ride deal... Pizza Luce has offered us a great deal for after the ride. One slice of pizza and a beverage for $5. But we need to let them know in advance how many people they should expect. So let us know when we start the ride if you are joining.
Bryan is hosting the ride, but unable to ride until later in the season, so Chuck F. has agreed to lead riders on the route for the interim and will make decisions on route, speed, etc.
* There is a moderate ride that we will coordinate with that leaves from the same location at 6:30pm and can join us after.
This weekly Monday event will be a fitness/cardio ride for experienced and fit group riders only. The emphasis is on riding. Be prepared to ride at a minimum of 18 miles per hour for 8-10 miles at a stretch, with occasional bursts or sprints at over 20 mph. There are also some medium sized hills to test your climbing skills. This is considered a BLACK level ride; you can see the description of our rides in the ride ranking key, HERE. (http://www.meetup.com/tcbicycling/files/)
We try very hard to keep track of our riders, with several rest points to re-group and check in. Although we prefer to ride as a group and we try to keep the group together, a certain degree of independence and self sufficiency may be required. Riders are expected to know the trails, and be willing to ride solo if they are ahead of or behind the group. Attendees on this ride are expected to be self-sufficient, in that they generally know the route and area, and if need be can change their own flat tire.
SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY !! We spend some of our time riding on trails, which are mixed use for walkers, runners, dogs (on leashes), and more moderate bike riders. This requires a high degree of defensive riding. Our mantra is, "We only ride fast when we have the safe opportunity". Common sense is king. We are safe and courteous and we prove it every week. Don't be surprised or upset if one of our leaders or trusted regular riders points out a situation where you have the opportunity to grow as a safer group rider. On some portions of the ride it may be appropriate to ride on the road.
• We normally head out on the North Cedar Lake Trail through to Target Field and right (east/southeast) on to River Road.
• Down River Road along the river, with a stop at the start (or is it end?) of the Greenway.
• The ride leaders will decide on timing and if return trip is along Greenway or through Minnehaha Trail.
• Plan for traffic and time for getting your gear together and filling your tires.
• Be sure to check out your bike ahead of time, and bring along a functional spare tire (tube).
• Bring full water bottles! A regular stop is at the water fountains on the river, but may not be turned on. The ride may make a special stop for extra water, but there is no guarantee.
ONGOING RIDE NOTES:
**Bring your sense of humor and adventure, a great attitude, and be ready to work a little bit.
**There is no need to RSVP no if you will not be attending. If you are not a yes we know you are not coming ;-)
**You must sign a waiver and return it to the ride leader before your first ride this season. You can see a copy of the waiver HERE. (http://www.meetup.com/tcbicycling/files/) It will save some time if you print it out and bring it with you to your first ride this season.
**As with all TCBM rides, HELMETS ARE MANDATORY, no exceptions.
**This ride is weather-dependent. If weather dictates a cancellation, we will cancel it on the calendar and also email the "yes" and "maybe" RSVPs.
**Please be courteous and change your RSVP if your plans change prior to the ride. If you RSVP "yes," we will be looking for you at the start. If you're not going to make it, please change your RSVP accordingly. Thanks!!