addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Bay Area Backcountry Buddies Message Board › Ansel Adams Wilderness around 9/22-9/26

Ansel Adams Wilderness around 9/22-9/26

Bev
user 2304834
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
Hi all,

Am thinking about doing a backpacking trip in the Ansel Adams Wilderness from Sat Sept 22 to Wed 9/26. Rough idea would be to drive to Lee Vining/Mono Lake on Sat morning, day hike in the area, start the trail from Agnew Meadows to Shadow/Ediza lake on Sun, hike to Thousand Island Lake on Mon, then take the High Trail back to Agnew Meadows on Tues, and drive back on Wed. Total mileage is about 24 miles, and it's roughly 7-8 miles the first two days and around 9 miles the last day. Am putting out feelers to see if anyone is interested in this trip and timeframe.

Thanks,
Bev
Greg L.
user 50924382
Oakland, CA
I'm interested, have potential work conflict, am trying to clear this now, and will know by end of day today. I'd need to share a ride as I live in Oakland, and am carless. And I can easily meet someone driving at a BART station if not in Oakland's Glenview district.
A former member
I may be intereted too. The time schedule looks manageable. A few considerations:

1) The Inyo Forest fire restrictions are to be lifted tomorrow - GREAT!!! However, they must have a reason for that. Let's watch weather forecast closely.

2) There are camping restrictions around these three lakes - may need to better aim at potential spots and prepare backups:
http://sierrawild.gov...­

3) The website above also mentions something about mandatory bus shuttle to Agnew Meadows. The link is broken, goes to some stupid advertisement site. Need to check this thoroughly, to avoid surprises.

In case it all works out: I am in South San Jose, have Subaru wagon, can drive myself or ride with someone else. Prefer late take-offs, but adjustable...
Greg L.
user 50924382
Oakland, CA
Post #: 2
I'm definitely interested in this trip. When will you be making a go/no-go decision? I've cleared my schedule and will avoid making any new appointments with clients.
Bev
user 2304834
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 2
Hi,

Thanks for the interest, but I'm not sure I'll be able to go anymore and may not know for a few days, but likelihood is low at this point. If you want to make other plans, then you might want to do so, and I'll check back with you in a few days if I think the trip is a go.

Thanks,
Bev
Brian
user 9860949
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 25
All,

Was just up there last weekend to summit Ritter, totally beautiful. The mandatory bus to Agnew meadows was not in effect, but you still have to pay 10 bucks to get through the NPS checkpoint. Be sure to take a soak at the Mammoth area hot springs on your way out.

-Brian
Bev
user 2304834
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 3
Thanks so much for the tips and interest everyone. Unfortunately, it turns out I won't be able to make this trip anymore this weekend, but maybe some other time.

Thanks again,
Bev