addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Bay Area Backcountry Buddies Message Board › Racheria Falls (Yosemite) Looking for pre hike campsites near trailhead

Racheria Falls (Yosemite) Looking for pre hike campsites near trailhead

Tony L.
user 9121852
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
Hi.

We have a group doing Rancheria Falls in July and wanted to know if anyone can recommend a (Pre hike) campsite near the trailhead but with facilities... I heard there are places on Evergreen Road.

Thank you..

Tony
Vera
user 11689802
Edinburgh, GB
Post #: 1
There's a campsite for people who have wilderness permits near Hetch Hetchy dam (it has bathrooms). THere should be info on the Yosemite website for that, I think it might be $5 pppn. Note that the road to HetchH. closes around sunset, I think it was 8pm, so you need to make sure everyone arrives early-ish...

frank
user 9194737
Alameda, CA
Post #: 103
Most people just find a wide shoulder to park and 'cowboy camp' along HH Road. There are no formal camping areas but since this is Forest Service area you can camp most anywhere except the dayuse areas

That being said there are 3-4 Campgrounds along 120 outside Yosemite that I usually camp at. They are East of Buck Meadows with the last one being not far from HH Road. It is very easy just to drive in and set up camp and get up early and continue on. There are no bears in the area so you don't have to worry about leaving food in your car.
Richard
MrRedwood
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 36
There's a campsite for people who have wilderness permits near Hetch Hetchy dam (it has bathrooms). There should be info on the Yosemite website for that, I think it might be $5 pppn. Note that the road to HetchH. closes around sunset, I think it was 8pm, so you need to make sure everyone arrives early-ish...

The Hetch Hetchy backpacker's campground is great — it isn't primitive like the one at Tuolumne or down in the valley, but nicely laid out like a regular campground. But with a bonus: because it's only for people heading into (or out of) the back country, you're very unlikely to get any yahoos or RVs running generators to power the televisions and such.

Here's a shot I took of one of their campsites several years ago:

This mist is from the O'Shaughnessy dam, which will lull you to sleep nicely.

Campground details are here: http://www.nps.gov/yo...­

The Hetch Hetchy permit station is described here.
Hours (subject to change):
7 am to 8 pm (April 1 to April 30)
7 am to 9 pm (May 1 to Labor Day)
8 am to 7 pm (Day after Labor Day to October 31)
8 am to 5 pm (November to March 31)

Justin
user 17988341
Campbell, CA
Post #: 26
Great info.

Thanks Richard!