addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Anti-Social Social (ASS) Club Message Board › Meeting Ideas/Places WANTED

Meeting Ideas/Places WANTED

A former member
Post #: 113
Our name could be Legion, for we are many.

From Springfield VA to York PA, WV to Delaware and the Eastern Shore - we populate an area encompassing many hundreds of square miles.

We range from the loud, raucous variety to the introverted, sensitive, at times painfully shy variety.

This message is to ALL ASSes - where do you want to meet (specific venues would be helpful as I live north of Baltimore and only in the past year have started getting out much - I know very little of many areas) and what do you want to do? Since I am but one ASS, are there those amongst you who would bravely step up to host an event in your area?

And please - to the more shy and diffident ASSes - PLEASE - this group is all about you. Small meetups, quiet places, whichever-whatever, I have no problem with INTP-only meetups! (the only problem is someone else has to host because I, alASS, am decidedly an "E" and therefore would not be allowed...not unless you would let me, in which case I would bring tape for my mouth and shut the hell UP)

I heard once of an ASS who went to a meetup and then sat in the parking lot, then left - never having garnered the courage to venture in to meet the others. I want there to be events that everyone can look forward to attending without social anxiety.

I just need to know what those would look like and where they would be.

Finally - for other Organizers who wish to have their events posted on this site - I think the Message Boards are the best option to get information out about events which other groups might be having. Jeff and I have discussed this at length and we both feel very similarly - we are protective of our ASSes.

So please - if you have an event you want us to know about, please post it here on the message board...give us all the details and sure, the link to your meetup event page is fine.

I am going to email this around to the membership so all do know - continue to scope out the message board for potentially interesting activities hosted by other groups - but our events are for ASSes, and ASSes only (but of course you can bring friends - uh, if you have any)

Thanks - ASSette Linda
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Linda!

I'd suggest, for the "I"s of the group, to make sure to mix in some low-key events along with the others, to ease people into it. I think it would be good to have some "E" people along with the "I" people though- nothing worse than a bunch of introverts standing around staring at their shoes. lol (I'm somewhat introverted myself, so I'm not making fun of anyone here)

Have you thought about activity-based activities.. like paint your own pottery, or mini-golf or.. I see there was trivia night once.. Glory Days here in Towson does trivia on Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm just thinking those things would provide some conversation starters, for new members or introverts to get to know some people and feel a little more at ease. Or there's pool, or poker (for those who don't mind having people over to their home, and who have chips and cards), or... a farmer's market outing or a picnic and swim somewhere... or something as simple and subdued as meeting for coffee on a Saturday or Sunday morning.
I'm short on exact locations for things, since I'm back in the area after having been away for about 10 years, and, sadly, do not get out much. But maybe some of the above appeals to some people and they know of a good venue, or can speak up about interesting things to do and some research can be done!
Nell
user 8721431
Towson, MD
Post #: 12
I love Hannah's ideas. My big problem is that you guys keep doing things too far from me to make it. I love you guys but I'm not going to drive an hour to go to happy hour in Savage or to Delaware. If we could do things closer to Baltimore or at least on this side of the county it would be awesome. I understand that you guys all live in different places but it feels like the majority of things are held pretty far from me so at least once in a while over here would be cool!

Some ideas:

1) Farmer's markets and then lunch. (There are Farmer's markets on Sunday in the city, on Tuesdays and Thursday in Towson and on Saturday Mornings in Waverly/Govans and probably others I don't know about)

2) Day hikes/walks in any of the numerous wooded parks around. Irvine, Oregon Ridge, Gun Powder, Robert E. Lee, Loch Raven or any others. Maybe even a picnic.

3) Coffee houses! Travis and I like going to the French Press in Towson but there are tons of other neat ones if we're avoiding Starbucks like the Grind On Cafe on Harford Road. I am fine with meeting at Starbucks though.

4) Similarly we could meet for ice cream somewhere and just hang out.

5) Outdoor movies - on Saturday Nights there are free outdoor movies at the courtyard at Cross Keys. At some point Little Italy does the same. Otherwise Drive-in Movies would be fun too! We call bring beach chairs and stuff.

6) Dinner somewhere fun?

-Nell
A former member
Post #: 2
Nell, I'm in the Lutherville/Towson area, and I agree with you.. Savage at 5pm on a weekday doesn't work for me. I moved here from Rockville, and one of the reasons I want to try to participate more in meetups is that all my friends live down near DC and I'm tired of driving all that way just to hang out.

Independent coffee shops- I hear there's a great one up in.. Lauraville (is that right?) that I can't remember the name of. It's a bit of a hike, but it would make for an interesting trip possibly.. if the coffee really is THAT good. I heard about it from a coworker I don't know very well, so I have no idea.
I think I may have passed one on my way to Mt. Washington, but not sure about that..

Also, anyone interested in running? I just started so I'm pretty slow, but I'm faster when with a group. Or maybe some people want to START running? Would have to be an early morning thing this time of year.

Dinner somewhere fun = something like different ethnic cuisines? a place that has belly dancing? or dance lessons?
Nell
user 8721431
Towson, MD
Post #: 13
Oh so Hannah, we're in the same neighborhood sort of! I live right by Towson University!

And the Grind On cafe is in Lauraville, that could have been the one you were thinking of, there is also Zeke's coffee in Lauraville, both have amazing coffee!!

I'm not good at running but I'd be willing to give it a go for sure! I'm need more exercise and speaking of, I'm off to the gym!

All of those things for dinner somewhere fun!
A former member
Post #: 2
I've had dreamy ideas about scavenger hunting with ASSes.

Maybe in some public parks in the Metro during the weekend.
A former member
Post #: 1
I have left ideas for events before but never really got a reply to my ideas. I think maybe you could add some other organizers. One of the other groups I am a part of have several organizers and it works out well. They always have so many events going on and its super fun.

I would like to volunteer to be an organizer. Due to my work schedule, I would only be able to plan events on the weekends. All the meetup groups I am a part of never have enough events on the weekends.

Mandy
A former member
Post #: 3
I'm in NOVA, so it would be nice to have a few events closer to home..... Other than that, I'm flexible.
7rOuble
user 9042787
Columbia, MD
Post #: 43
I've had dreamy ideas about scavenger hunting with ASSes.

Maybe in some public parks in the Metro during the weekend.

Ooooh! I LIKE the scavenger hunt idea. we could use simple Caesar Cipher to encrypt clues that could be left, say, stuck in a bottle or under a park bench, etc... and all you would need to read the encryption would be a cypher wheel. The clues lead you to the next treasure, attached to which would be another encrypted clue.

It could be SO FUN!!!
A former member
Post #: 115
OK how about Trivia Night at Glory Days on - Wednesday night? I will call them for the details once they open and set it up.

Anybody want to venture to the Hippo for Bingo on Wednesday nights some time? The caller is in drag. Just sort of different, you know.

I am ALL UP for ideas but the more 'research' you can do to develop this idea into something that can be posted - the more likely it is to get up there.

I also would like to set up something for NOVA - I dunno, Olde Towne Alexandria or - WHEREVER. But people, not to sound like a whiney-ASS, but I know essentially NOTHING of this area - where's the fave spots to congregate to do things? Can be painting pottery, game night, anti-social hour, golf, WHAT-ever but please - direct my ASS.

Someone mentioned doing a winery tour out in NOVA - OK - where they is?

Oh. And we don't have to be Legion. I really didn't think deeply about the ref at the time but, that's actually from the New Testament and the speaker was a legion of demons who were possessing some poor guy's bod. While occasionally I wonder if I'm the only one in here, demonic possession is nothing to sneeze at - so if anyone was unsettled by that ref, here's a line my brother-in-law always uses on my sister:

I'm sorry. I'll do better next time.

So anyhow. Let's figure out some places to congregate and practice our sneering skills.