addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Anti-Social Social (ASS) Club Message Board › American Visionary Arts Museum

American Visionary Arts Museum

John
user 9940680
Laurel, MD
Post #: 1
Anyone who has not gone to this needs to go. It is all art by self taught, mostly mentally disturbed, freak, homeless, psychotic, idiotic etc. people. The Ghostbusters meet up features this museum for FREE as would any of the other movie nights.
A former member
Post #: 32
John - I was on the fence about this until you were talking about it Monday night at Red Hot and Blue. Your excitment about the Visionary Arts Museum was obvious. I'll be checking this out on Aug 13th.

Elly
A former member
Post #: 131
Oh yeah, Elly (and all)

This museum is THE BEST museum in Baltimore. Many of the artists are/were total ASSes. As an ASS - you are compelled to go and support your own.

There are two ways which I know of to get in without having to pay the $14.

1) Thursdays 5-9 before Flicks on the Hill - last chance is Ghostbusters night, WHICH I might add is a meetup.

2) First weekend of every month for Bank of America cardholders (any cc or debit card bearing the BofA logo)

Well there's 3 ways -

3) BECOME A MEMBER - Students $25, Regular $50, Married $75 (two), Family $100 (four) and you even get a couple of free passes to drag along your yet-to-be-visionary friends!

The AVAM sponsors many notable events during the year but above all - THE KINETIC SCULPTURE RACE, held the first Saturday in May. See earlier Message Board Missives from me about this. I volunteer for this race and you should consider it - it's truly hilarious.

I'm getting a family membership the next time I go - so if my schedule allows, I am up for a visit just about any time. I can only spend 2 hours tops at a time there before I have to go for a walk to clear my head - for me, that place is 'sensory overload'.

They also have summer camp programs for kids. Easy to get to from 95 - Key Highway - meters are all of 25 cents per hour through 10 PM, so if you go for Flicks, you are going to need at least a few quarters.
John
user 9940680
Laurel, MD
Post #: 2
As soon as I found out I could get in free, I already done went up last Thursday. I would like to tell everyone that the MOST IMPORTANT THING, to me anyway, is to read the stories of the artists that are on the wall next to their artwork, before you start looking at the artwork.
Gary M. M.
user 8069357
Rockville, MD
Post #: 1
AND the AVAM is having a Flea Market tomorrow! tongue

• Saturday • August 1 • 9am–4pm: Sideshow's Second Annual FLEA MARKET at AVAM
  • AVAM's award-winning shop SIDESHOW presents its second annual Flea Market. Lots of vendors! Fun for the whole family! Tons of Art, Books, Toys, Antiques, Collectibles and more! Rain Date: August 2
  • http://www.avam.org/c...­