Jun 23, 2013 · 6:45 AM
This location is shown only to members
Old Place Creek encompasses 74 acres of critical tidal and sub- tidal wetland habitat located in northwestern Staten Island.
The headwaters for the creek begin in the forested wetlands of Graniteville swamp woods and then slowly meander towards the northern end of the Arthur Kills next to Goethals Bridge.
Old place creek is the perfect place to enjoy several passive recreational activities including nature observation, bird watching and photography.
Mind your skills, cause we are going to be in the Arthur Kills and this is a river with strong currents and high traffic boat activity.
SKILL LEVEL :
* Beginner PLUS and UP ( Self rescue technique is required )
BOAT LENGHT :
* 14 to 16 Feet ( Ideal )
* 12 to 13.5 Feet ( Is doable, but you will be working hard )
* MY FIRST TIME IN THE CREEK SECTION
* Spray skirt ( Good option )
* Dress quick dry fabrics and extra set of dry clothes.
* Bring lunch and water
* Hat, sun screen, insect repellent and more
* Extra gear such as extra paddle, sponge, rope and more
* DISTANCE : 14 to 16 Miles
* DURATION : 6 to 7 Hrs
* The D.V.K collects NO money, NO dues and assumes NO responsibilities for your own safety.
* Please don't get into the water before our safety meeting