Are you new to kayaking? Want to learn a little more about the basics? Curious about different types of boats? Have some questions you want to ask about kayaking or the group itself? This is the event for you! Come on out to Parvin Lake for a day geared just for you, whether you have your own boat and want to brush up on some of the basics, or you are still deciding on what boat to get. Rental boats will be available through Al & Sam's at the lake, and we'll have several different types of boats available for you to demo if you are curious. We'll meet at Fisherman's Landing on Parvin Mill Road.
The day will consist of two components - an off water discussion about boats and gear, and an on water clinic about basic paddling skills. We will split into two groups when we arrive, and one group will be on water first while the other group has the on land discussion, then the groups will switch halfway through.
Component 1 - Kayak Gear & Safety: We will discuss the different types of boats and what they are used for. We will discuss what to look for when purchasing a boat, and what to avoid. We will cover both basic and advanced safety gear and take a look at other kayaking goodies. We'll have some sample boats available for short test paddles so you can feel the difference between types of boats. We'll be happy to answer any questions you may have about boats, gear, or kayaking in general.
Component 2 - Basic Paddling Skills: This session will be held on water. You will need to either bring your own boat, or rent one from Al & Sam's at the lake. We'll head out onto the lake and learn basic paddling strokes such as the sweep, forward stroke, and sculling stroke. This is entry level instruction, no prior skills required.
While this is geared for entry level paddlers, all skill levels are welcome to attend either to brush up on skills or to help out on the water.
- If you are renting a boat, contact Al & Sam's to reserve one. Please let them know you are from the DVK.
- Rentals will need to be paddled a short distance across the lake from the rental office to Fisherman's Landing, where we will be meeting.
- Please be ON TIME. If you are renting, we recommend arriving no later than 12:30 to pick up your boat and to paddle over to Fisherman's Landing. If you are bringing your own boat, please allow time to unload your boats and gear PRIOR to 1pm.
- The main park entrance and Al & Sam's rental location are on Almond Road. MAP
- The group meeting area is at Fisherman's Landing. MAP
- Please be considerate of other lake patrons! We are not the only ones using the lake: please do not block the boat ramp, and give fisherman on the lake plenty of space.
- PFDs are required and must be worn while on the water.
- Cancellations due to thunderstorms or other dangerous conditions will be posted by 10am the day of the paddle. Please check your email BEFORE departing for the lake.
- Contact me the day of the paddle with questions or problems:[masked]
- Bring a towel, change of clothes, sunscreen, and plenty of water!
Important: The Delaware Valley Kayakers collects no dues and assumes no responsibility.
NOTICE: By attending an event you are agreeing that YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY AT ALL TIMES. No member of the group EXCEPT YOURSELF can be held responsible for any damages, accidents, or liabilities incurred while paddling with us.
Paddling is an inherently dangerous sport. Information is provided with the understanding that the providers are not engaged in rendering advice on technical matters, equipment performance, safety, or any other aspect of the sport in absolute terms or advocating any of the techniques or experiences described.