Needs a location
August: Sturgeon Moon
North American fishing tribes called August's full moon the sturgeon moon since the species was abundant during this month. It's also been called the green corn moon, the grain moon, and the red moon for the reddish hue it often takes on in the summer haze.
To Kayak with us, You
- must be able to swim,
- wear a life jacket (PFD;s) must be worn properly at all times, and
- have viewable lights on your PFD and Kayak
• Have must have a whistle that functions when wet.
LAKE: Canyon Lake
Trailhead: Acacia Picnic Area (after Mile Marker 210 on SR88)
Sun Sets at: 7:14 PM
Moon Rises at: 7:43 PM
• You should at least feel comfortable falling in the water until someone comes to assist you.
• This event is not open to beginner paddlers who have only paddled a few times.
• You must wear a Life Vest,
• Lighting - • Group MUST stay together - NO WANDERING OFF,
• Tonto Day or Annual Pass or a National Parks Pass,
• plenty of snacks and water,
• Please let me know if are an advanced paddler and or have additional training.
You can pick one up a Tonto Pass at many convenience stores or Fry's or Circle K plus others.
You can pick one up a Tonto Pass at many convenience stores or food stores such as Fry's or any place that displays the Tonto Pass Sold Here sign.
Directions to Acacia Picnic area:
Coming from Phoenix:
- Take US60 East to exit 196 (Idaho)
- Exit at 196 and make a left at the light (going north on Idaho)
- About two miles turn right for SR88
- Stay on SR88 until you see Mile Marker 210. Right after MM 210you will see the Acacia Picnic area on the left.
CARPOOL LOCATION: We'll leave 45 minutes before the scheduled meetup at
Address: The Carpool will meet at the new Fry's Marketplace in Apache Junction located at 150 E Old West Hwy, Apache Junction, AZ 85120
To get here, take US60 to Idaho, exit 196. Make a left at the light and take Ironwood north to the intersection of Idaho and Old West Highway (about 2 mile north of US60. As it is a large parking lot, lets meet at the GAS PUMPS. I will be in a silver 4Runner with one or two Kayaks on the roof (easy to see).
If you want to meet at the carpool, please post so, or go directly to the acacia picnic area.
Release of Liability:
• Meetup organizers are not tour guides and are not park rangers. Expect the same risks and take the same precautions you would take if you were hiking alone. You are solely responsible for your own safety and well-being.
• By signing up for and/or attending this Meetup event, you acknowledge, understand, accept, and agree that hiking and other outdoor activities can be dangerous and can cause serious bodily injury and possibly death. The organizers of this group and current and former members cannot be held responsible or liable in any way for the actions of any participant - including you - at any event.
• All attendees participate at an event at their own risk and are solely responsible for any damage to their property, and/or any injury to themselves or their guests.
• By signing up for and/or attending this Meetup event, you affirm that you understand this disclaimer, and that you knowingly and voluntarily agree not to bring any type of claim arising out of or related to this Meetup event against the organizers of this Meetup group.