Hackberry Springs Loop is just an extension of the Garden Valley Loop. The trailhead starts at the First Water Trailhead just past Lost Dutchman State Park on SR88.
Trailhead: First Water Trailhead - parking lot.
Facilities: Rest Rooms
Trails to Hike: Hackberry Springs Loop
Accumulated Elevation Gain: 340 Feet
Distance: 5.5 miles
Hiking Level Rating: Easy to Moderate (due to distance)
What to bring/wear:
- At least three liters of water, more in hotter temperatures;
- Electrolytes with lunch and/or snacks;
- Protective clothing including hats and Sun Screen;
- first aid items.
Duration : 3:30-4:30 hours
Directions to Trailhead:
- Take US 60 to Exit 196 (Idaho), turn left at light.
- Stay on Idaho (AZ 88) until it veers to the right.
- Stay on AZ88, past the Lost Dutchman's Park Entrance, until you see a sign on the righthand side of 88 that says Tonto National Forrest.
- Make the first right turn after the sign onto First Water Trail (AZ 77) Stay on the Trail until it ends at a parking lot.
CARPOOL LOCATION: We'll leave 3/4 hour before the scheduled meetup at
Fry's Market Place
150 E Old West Hwy, Apache Junction, AZ 85120
We will meet by the side of the Gas Station... I'm the one with the Grey 4Runner....
Hiking Path we will take: Follow First Water Trail to the first intersection then head north on Second Water (also called Garden Valley) for around a mile. When you get to the signpost for the Black Mesa Trail you will notice a pile of rocks behind the trail marker. This is the site of an old Indian ruin. If you look closely there are still small bits and pieces of pottery. At this intersection instead of heading east on the Black Mesa trail go west on a well-used single-track trail through a valley of Cholla. This is Garden Valley. Travel through to the small saddle ahead.
You are responsible for your own belongings and safety.
Release of Liability:
• Meetup organizers are not tour guides and are not park rangers. Expect the same risks and take the same precautions you would take if you were hiking alone. You are solely responsible for your own safety and well-being.
• By signing up for and/or attending this Meetup event, you acknowledge, understand, accept, and agree that hiking and other outdoor activities can be dangerous and can cause serious bodily injury and possibly death. The organizers of this group and current and former members cannot be held responsible or liable in any way for the actions of any participant - including you - at any event.
• All attendees participate at an event at their own risk and are solely responsible for any damage to their property, and/or any injury to themselves or their guests.
• By signing up for and/or attending this Meetup event, you affirm that you understand this disclaimer, and that you knowingly and voluntarily agree not to bring any type of claim arising out of or related to this Meetup event against the organizers of this Meetup group.