addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Hiking Hikers Hiking Group Message Board › I'm ready to by my first GPS..need help to choose! any recommendations?

I'm ready to by my first GPS..need help to choose! any recommendations?

Gladys
user 10938169
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 4
I know what I want it to have but all those mixed reviews are making it harder for me to choose one.
I need it mostly for hiking. Accuracy is very important. I like stats and I am planning on keeping track of all my hikes for 2011 ( distance, elevation gain etc..)
I have my heart rate monitor so that feature is not needed.
Rechargeable or with AAA Batteries? Haven't seen one that has both options.
I am thinking of Garmin Foretrex 401... think is cool that has a barometric altimeter (will let me know if a storm is developing) Seems like I could add accessories later for Cycling if I wanted to.

Any feed back would be great!
Stan S.
arizstan
Gilbert, AZ
Post #: 5
I know what I want it to have but all those mixed reviews are making it harder for me to choose one.
I need it mostly for hiking. Accuracy is very important. I like stats and I am planning on keeping track of all my hikes for 2011 ( distance, elevation gain etc..)
I have my heart rate monitor so that feature is not needed.
Rechargeable or with AAA Batteries? Haven't seen one that has both options.
I am thinking of Garmin Foretrex 401... think is cool that has a barometric altimeter (will let me know if a storm is developing) Seems like I could add accessories later for Cycling if I wanted to.

Any feed back would be great!

Hey Gladys, Did you get any advice on your GPS? I can't help you, but I want one as well...Can I share your gps knowledge?

Stan
A former member
Post #: 13
I have a Garmin Colorado I. I am quite happy with it. I've used it for both backpacking and road navigation.
Gladys
user 10938169
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 5
On my research I got mixed reviews as well!! so in paper, the Garmin Foretrex 401, provides me with all the stats and information I expect, so went ahead and bought it at REI (before I spent the money! lol) cost $199 and if it is not accurate I know I can return it anytime. I have friends that have the Forerunner 305 and always complain about problems with charger.. one friend yesterday mentioned he has never been able to get more than 6 hrs of charge. I guess going with the AAA batteries was the best decision.
I have already used it a couple of times and so far it's been accurate and I'm happy!
Stan S.
arizstan
Gilbert, AZ
Post #: 6
Well, congratulations...we'll have to chat about it next time we are on the same outing...
Stan S.
arizstan
Gilbert, AZ
Post #: 7
And thanks for sharing...