addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Toronto Moto Scooter Club Message Board › Gear Head Help

Gear Head Help

Jamie L.
user 12494083
Toronto, ON
Post #: 53

We must have been typing at the same time. Someone else on the CX500 forum suggested the same thing.
I wish I tried starting without pulling the cap first. Till tomorrow I guess

Have had this happen on a few vintage bikes I have owned.... it'll frequently idle fine, the vacuum only forms after it runs for a little bit (And will eventually disappear but depending on how cloggerd the vent is, this can take a few minutes.) With luck this is it... it's a simple fix if so (you can frequently use something like a bent paper clip to clean out the vent hole in the cap)

And if it IS this... if it makes you feel better, first time it happened to me I had the bike towed before I realized that was the issue ;)

Dan F.
Dan.Fisher
Toronto, ON
Post #: 222
A couple people have said vacuum, but I can't find anywhere to stick a paperclip in to clean it..
But thinking back to the first time it happened, I removed the cap so I could check to make sure there was gas in there. Still wouldn't start then.
Came home last night and it started after the battery was reinstalled, fresh from the charge.
I took it around my neighborhood for about 20 minutes without issue. Was not ready to leave the immediate area for fear of the push home. But I couldn't get it to 80 for more then a few seconds because of traffic and lights. But I did go do groceries and circumnavigated Parkdale lol.
Tomorrow I'm going to try and drive it to my gig at Bata Shoe Museum and then up to Dufferin and Steeles.
If it dies, I can street park it and take TTC.
Its just to bad I didn't try and start it in steps. Instead I took the cap off, installed the battery and fired it up no problem. Someone also suggested tapping the carbs with a wrench or something to see if you can free the valve