BACK BY POPULAR REQUEST--our NUMBER ONE FAVORITE TRIP OF ALL TIME!!!
EGYPT & THE NILE, NOVEMBER 18-28, 2017
There will never be a perfect time to go, so if it's on your bucket list, do it now with the safety of a group! We found NOVEMBER weather to be absolutely perfect, so that's when this one is planned in 2017!
This trip begins in a hotel that was formerly a palace and it also offers the optional opportunity to see Alexandria--something we missed the first time!
Sail through 5,000 years of history on this incredible Nile river cruise tour. In Cairo, marvel at King Tutankhamun’s treasures and masterpieces of ancient art, visit the enigmatic Sphinx, and see the Great Pyramids of Giza. Drive to the ancient capital of Memphis to see the 40-foot statue of Ramses II. Fly to Luxor, one of the greatest cities of ancient Egypt, and embark your 4-night Nile River cruise to Aswan. Along the way, visit the Luxor Temple, Colossi of Memnon, the Valley of Kings and Valley of Queens, the Temple of Isis, and Aswan Dam. Ride through Edfu to the Temple of Horus, built in the time of Cleopatra roughly 2,000 years ago. Sail across the water on a felucca, visit colorful local bazaars, and enjoy an exclusive lecture on this ancient civilization by your Egyptologist. Return to Cairo for the conclusion of your trip—it’s a vacation of a lifetime!
IMPORTANT: Please note that this tour will not run tour if it is deemed unsafe to travel to Egypt. If cancelled by our tour company, you will receive a refund. In addition, trip insurance provides an extra layer of protection and I recommend adding it!
Day 1...Depart USA (Nov. 18th to allow one buffer day for tour! This means a pre-hotel night will be added.)
Day 2...Arrive Cairo
A country rich in wonders and mysteries. You are met at the airport and transferred to your hotel.
Hotel: Cairo Marriott Hotel, Cairo ***A FORMER PALACE CONVERTED TO A HOTEL***
Meet your Egyptologist and traveling companions 8 am. Sightseeing in and around Africa’s largest metropolis starts with a close-up look at one of the Seven Wonders of the World: the guardian of the great pyramids, the enigmatic SPHINX, and the daunting PYRAMIDS OF GIZA. Cheops, with an original height of 496 feet, is the most colossal pyramid ever built. Then, drive to the ancient Egyptian capital of MEMPHIS, where you can admire the 40-foot statue of RAMSES II and the ALABASTER SPHINX. On to Sakkara, a vast desert necropolis built for kings and nobles, and its “STAIRWAY TO THE SKY,” the oldest of all pyramids. Tonight, enjoy a SOUND & LIGHT SHOW at the pyramids that will put these wonders of the ancient world into an easily understandable historic context. (Breakfast)
Day 3...Cairo, The Citadel and Egyptian Museum
Begin your city sightseeing at the world-famous Egyptian Museum. Starring among its attractions is the amazing treasure recovered from Tutankhamun's tomb. Sightseeing continues at the Citadel where you enjoy breathtaking views over the whole city. Salah El Din started the Citadel in the 12th Century, but it owes its present outline to Mohammed Ali, whose Great Alabaster Mosque you'll visit next. Then free time to enjoy as you wish. In the evening, get to know your Tour Director and fellow guests over a Welcome Drink at the hotel. Later, take your seats at the magical Sound & Light Show at the Great Pyramids which literally illuminates the history of Giza - an unforgettable introduction to the world of ancient Egypt.
Hotel: Cairo Marriott Hotel, Cairo
Buffet Breakfast, Welcome Reception
Day 4...Cairo and the Great Pyramids of Giza Experience
Gain a deeper understanding of the last remaining Wonder of the Ancient World during a visit to Giza with a Local Expert. Meet the enigmatic Sphinx crouching at the foot of Chephrenís Causeway and venture inside one of the magnificent pyramids. Nearby lies Memphis, capital of the Old Kingdom, see the colossal statue of Rameses II and the great Alabaster Sphinx. Continue to Sakkara, view the Step Pyramid of Zoser I; dating from 2,686 BC, it's the oldest in the world. Then free time this afternoon.
Hotel: Cairo Marriott Hotel, Cairo
Day 5... Fly to Luxor and then Transfer to your ship for Nile Cruise
Day 5 to 8... Cruise the Nile
After lunch onboard, visit Luxor Temple unearthed by Mariette in the 1860s. Continue to the huge temple complex of Karnak. Walk through the avenue of ram-headed sphinxes to stand among the columns of the Hypostyle Hall. The following morning, relax as you gently cruise along the Nile, past palm-fringed villages and irrigated fields, to exotic Aswan. Before leaving Luxor, there is an experience by coach to the west bank, which includes a photo stop at the Colossi of Memnon and visits to the Temple of Queen Hatshepsut, as well as some of the royal tombs in the Valley of the Kings. Also visit a working bakery to witness the local artisans creating authentic Egyptian bread. As you cruise upstream, stops are made at ancient sites along the way. These include Kom Ombo Temple and a delightful horse and carriage ride to the magnificent Temple of Horus, dedicated to the Falcon God in Edfu. On arrival in Aswan, included sightseeing shows you the High Dam and unfinished obelisk in the granite quarries. It also includes a motorboat ride to the Philae Island Temple complex and sailing in a traditional wooden Nile felucca. As the sun starts to fade, enjoy colonial-style high tea at the historic Old Cataract Hotel, a favourite haunt of Agatha Christie, who is said to have penned ‘Death on the Nile’ over the cafés signature drink.
While cruising, breakfast (BB), lunch (L) and dinner (D) are served daily and one night you get to celebrate Egyptian-style at a galabeya party and dinner.
Hotel: MS Miriam/ MS Giselle/ MS La Boheme (or similar)
Buffet Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Afternoon Tea, Signature Evening
Day 9...Free Time in Aswan and back to Cairo
(Relaxed Start) Why not join an optional experience by air to the magnificent Temples of Rameses II at Abu Simbel? THIS IS A MUST SEE!!! PLEASE ADD IT TO YOUR BUDGET. Otherwise, spend the morning as you wish. There is lots to enjoy; the Botanic Gardens, Elephantine Island, the Aga Khan Mausoleum or soak up the African atmosphere in the Nubian bazaar. Later, transfer to the airport for your return flight to Cairo for the night.
Hotel: Cairo Marriott Hotel, Cairo
Day 10...Depart Cairo
Your journey ends after breakfast with transfers to the airport.
TOUR & CRUISE: $2,203.00 excluding ALL AIRFARE
Pre Hotel Night: $132 double/$216 single occupancy
SINGLE SUPPLEMENT: $560 on request basis only
AIR WITHIN EGYPT: $375 approx. (not yet available/tour company will book for us)
AIR FROM USA: $999 approx.
OPTIONAL ABU SIMBEL EXCURSION: $295 **PLAN TO ADD THIS OPTIONAL EXCURSION, IT IS A MUST SEE!!!***
IMPORTANT: Please note that tour will not run if it is deemed unsafe. If the tour company cancels, you will receive a full refund.
There was unrest when we went last time and at no time did I feel unsafe. In addition, trip insurance provides an extra layer of protection and I recommend it on every trip!
SIGNATURE EXPERIENCES AND DINING
• Cairo: Gaze upon the most recognizable symbols of ancient Egypt: the full-faced funeral mask, gold coffin, gilded throne and precious jewellery – Tutankhamun's treasures.
• Giza: If only these walls could talk! Oh, but they do at the audio visual Sound & Light Show at the Great pyramids
• .Karnak: Stand amid a vast forest of columns in the largest temple complex known to man.
• West Bank: Embark on an experience with an Egyptologist to visit the Temple Hatshepsut and royal tombs in the Valley of the Kings.Luxor: Visit a working bakery and witness the local artisans creating authentic Egyptian bread.
• Aswan: On a traditional Nile felucca, meet the captain and learn the art of sailing this ancient Nile craft.Philae Island: Board a motorboat to the temple complex.
• Aswan: Like Winston Churchill and Agatha Christie before you, enjoy the sunset and high tea in colonial English-style at Aswan's famous Old Cataract Hotel.
• Giza: Meet the enigmatic Sphinx and venture deep inside one of the pyramids, to the chambers where the Pharaohs went to meet their Gods in the afterlife.
AUTHENTIC REGIONAL FLAVOURS
• Cruising: Join the fun at an Egyptian dinner and galabeya party.
• Included Quality Dining: 1 Welcome Drink (WR), 11 Buffet Breakfasts (BB), 1 High Tea (AT), 1 Signature Evening (SE), 7 Lunches (L) and 6 Dinners (D), plus bottled water, tea or coffee with included lunches and dinners while cruising.
STAY AT THE BEST ADDRESSES
• THE MARRIOTT IN CAIRO was formerly the
Gezirah Palace (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gezirah_Palace) built for the Khedive (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khedive) Isma'il Pasha (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isma%27il_Pasha) in 1869. The Palace and site was converted to a hotel by Marriott International (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriott_International) into a modern hotel. It was made much larger and is one of the tallest buildings (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Cairo) in Cairo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo). It is located in the Zamalek (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamalek) district on Gezira Island (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gezira_Island), situated on the Nil (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nile)e, and just west of Downtown Cairo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Cairo), Egypt (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egypt)
• Cruising: Cruise the Nile in style aboard your traditional Nile cruiser with its spacious cabins, bars, shops, lounge, restaurant and swimming pool.
ADDITIONAL FIVE STAR SERVICES
• An expert Insight Tour Director, at the pinnacle of their career, will guide you on your journey. Serving as your 'travelling concierge', this skilled guide will act as consummate organiser and be your 'friend in a foreign land'.
• Enjoy the unique comfort of Insight's luxury air-conditioned 40 seat coach with extended leg room and on-board restroom. It's business class comfort.
• A personal radio headset gives you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating insights and commentaries.
• Baggage handling everywhere, with seamless and prompt delivery to your door at every hotel.
• Hotel and restaurant tips included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. Plus we include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
• Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi.
• Insight Flourishes - from time to time, your Tour Director will enchant you with local tidbits, each representing authentic food or beverages unique to the destination.
• Included airport transfers to and from your Insight Vacations hotel.Deluxe hotel in Cairo.
• 4 night Nile cruise on MS Medea or MS Sapphire or MS La Boheme (or similar) including all cruise boat gratuities.
• Scheduled air travel Cairo/Luxor and Aswan/Cairo.Services of Insight's Representative in Egypt.
Most Insight tours already include a host of bonus highlights and comprehensive sightseeing. There may also be an exciting array of Optional Experiences which will turn an already amazing experience into the trip of a lifetime! These are entirely optional and can be booked through your Tour Director/Local Representative at the commencement of your tour. Please note, many Optional Experiences are operated by independent third party suppliers, not Insight Vacations. The Optionals and pricing listed here are a guideline only and subject to change.
• Karnak Sound And Light Show
Enjoy the fabulous Sound and Light Show arranged in Luxor at Karnak Temple: While strolling along the ancient avenues of Sphinxes & halls of colossal columns, you will be hearing the tales of these ancient places.
Adult Price: USD 38
• Nubian Village
A scenic boat ride along the Nile brings you to a typical Nubian Village. Among the colourfully painted houses, meet the friendly locals, (quite possibly their animals too,) and experience their culture and way of life.
Adult Price: USD 27
• Sound + Light Show - Aswan
The powerful tale of Isis and Osiris is one of Ancient Egypt's most momentous legends. Fanciful Egyptian gods and goddesses, as well as the fascinating history of Philae Temple is brought to life before your eyes through the magic of sound and light. The atmospheric temple setting, engaging narration by world-famous celebrities and moonlit boat ride across the lake make it an unforgettable experience.
Adult Price: USD 38
• Abu Simbel Excursion By Air***A MUST SEE***
Excursion to Abu Simbel from Aswan to visit the fabulous reconstructed temples of Ramses II and Nefertari. The journey by air takes approximately forty minutes in each direction and allows approximately seventy-five minutes at Abu Simbel to visit the temples and the impressive concrete dome. Price is subject to Airline increases
Adult Price: USD 295
• Full Day Alexandria
Embark on a full day exploration of historic Alexandria. Your sightseeing tour shows you the National Museum, the well preserved Roman Amphitheatre, Roman Catacombs, Quayet-Bey Fortress and Pombey’s Pillar. Later, visit the Mosque of Abdul Abass and the gardens at Montaza surrounding a former palace of the Royal family. (Please note - This excursion is only available to passengers who have purchased extra nights in Cairo before or after their tour).
Adult Price: USD 115
• Nile Cruise & Dinner
Experience Cairo from a completely different perspective during a delightful evening dinner cruise on River Nile. Once on board enjoy a delicious buffet dinner with Cairo's illuminated skyline as a backdrop. Entertainment is provided in the form of a spectacular belly-dancing and folklore show. Not to be missed!
Adult Price: USD 73