addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Vegans of the NC Triad Message Board › Fiscal cliff and dairy

Fiscal cliff and dairy

Sena
user 13475801
Greensboro, NC
Post #: 20
We hear that if we go over the fiscal cliff that the cost of milk may double. I just have to share that I keep hearing how much a higher price of milk will hurt families. It's almost as if there's no awareness that there are great alternatives to dairy milk. I don't know how the fiscal cliff would affect those who produce the wide variety of non-dairy milks, from soy to coconut.

I don't want us to go over the cliff, but I'd love to see a drop in dairy consumption.
Heather N.
user 4621861
Portland, OR
Post #: 226
It looks like the "dairy cliff" was averted as well with the deal that just went through.
Aden
user 11330010
High Point, NC
Post #: 8
This reminds me of people running out for "milk and bread" when a storm is coming. There are many more effective alternatives but I suppose people freak out about what they are used to using costing more...even milk which seems like it wouldn't be that huge of an issue because for I assume a lot of people:

• If you drink milk by the glassfuls...drink water or something else.
  • If you cook/bake with dairy...find alternatives. People do this in all kinds of ways with food from trying to find cheaper alternatives to low-cal alternatives but I guess feel weird about non-animal alternatives?
  • If items you buy that have dairy in them go up then...maybe cut back on those items?

I'm not even sure whether non-dairy milks/beverages cost less or more ounce for ounce. But I kind of secretly was happy about this "dairy cliff." =/ Well, if I say something like that people might accuse me of trying to take America's dairy farmers to the poor house. Sigh.