addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Vegans of the NC Triad Message Board › Anyone have a vegan meal at The Fit Station?

Anyone have a vegan meal at The Fit Station?

Aden
user 11330010
High Point, NC
Post #: 10
I live near this shopping center and saw the sign for this place...reminds me of another business that serves meals to go that says it offers vegan meals. No expansion on what ordering vegan meals would be like but I'll try to figure it out!

http://www.thefitstat...­
Heather N.
user 4621861
Portland, OR
Post #: 230
I've not heard of it! You should go in and find out, then report back. :)
Aden
user 11330010
High Point, NC
Post #: 11
I went this week and talked to the staff (including at least one owner, I believe) about vegan options. The only thing that stood out was a sesame tofu meal that they regularly have. As for other vegan dishes, they basically said that they may add another here or there but that if a meal doesn't sell (or I'm guessing they wont think will sell well) they don't regularly have it.

I took the sesame tofu meal home and it had a grilled triangle of tofu (a large portion for me at least!), jasmine rice, some roasted or pan-cooked veggies and an "Asian" dipping sauce. I was good to go until I saw that the dipping sauce had fish oil in it. I just used a ginger miso I had in the fridge. The half-block of tofu tasted good which I found odd only because I never ate tofu like that! I think I always tried to cut tofu up in as small pieced as appropriate for the dish to get more sauce/seasoning on more surface area, but this was good! I only want to know if they use organic tofu...which I'll ask (a note about organic ingredients here: http://www.thefitstat...­. I have been thinking about organic/non-organic tofu a lot recently because I always buy organic tofu but have never even seen non-organic tofu (except for non-organic silken tofu).

I think the prices are great all around; I mean I can so far only get one thing but it was under $6 and I live around where it is and around that area of Wendover, there isn't much fresh food/establishments that have vegan options except for Chipotle, Chef Samir (the Egyptian restaurant), The chili and a potato and a salad probably at McAlisters in HP at the Palladium, and Zizi's way down Hilltop to Groometown Rd (which I haven't been to yet! Agh!) and a dish or a couple at Southern Roots. Hm, when I write it down it seems like a lot of places but I don't often eat alone so I have to add the desires of another person, too! :)

There were 2 women a part of The Fit Station that I talked to while I was there and they were super nice and attentive. I was surprised that I felt like the definition of "vegan foods" wasn't well understood when it was listed on their website (though I recall one saying she knows a vegan that "eats fish" of course haha or something like that so I can see where some people get confused) and that they only one vegan(-ish) option in the refrigerator case but they may add more options in the future! Maybe the head chef knows well enough about vegan foods so that can count. And, hey, I'm glad non-vegans are eating tofu and I know there are tofu-meat dishes and such so while the tofu dish The Fit Station serves may be the option they are offering for vegans/vegetarians, I like the idea that people don't just see it as that stuff those veg/ans eat.

When you go in you get a meal and either take it home and heat it up or you can heat it up in the microwave there. I didn't pay a lot of attention to the rest of the food in the place for some reason but I vaguely remember something like a yogurt bar and drinks available.

I noted their use of fish oil on their Facebook page and also suggested they look into tempeh and quinoa as options that all could eat. I noticed one of their chicken soups have quinoa in it so the chef may be familiar enough with it. Or a veggie based meal...I think they have a grilled veggie pasta but I am not sure if they are trying to have a certain amount of protein in each meal. There were 17g of protein in what I got!

Now, I need to try Zizi's! The Fit Station reminds me of a biz I learned about before on High Point Rd that says it offers vegan meals http://www.breakofday...­

Go to The Fit Station's Facebook page (or site, Twitter account, Instagram account) and ask them about/let them know you want vegan meals! That is, if the place is convenient to you :)
Heather N.
user 4621861
Portland, OR
Post #: 231
Thanks for the review! It's always nice to know of another vegan option in the area. Especially for a take out place, since most of them are notoriously unfriendly to vegans. Except for Zizi's, of course, which you definitely have to go and check out. :)
Aden
user 11330010
High Point, NC
Post #: 12
I went yesterday and picked up a 95 cent container of spicy peanut noodles. The are listed as a side but I ate it for lunch. I liked it! I usually eat that type of dish at Earth Fare. The Fit Station's uses a whole wheat pasta and their own ground peanut butter (they have 3 nut butters you can grind there, at least from almonds and organic peanuts if I remember correctly). I asked another woman who works there about the ingredients; I now forget what they were but it sounded vegan to me and it includes Sriracha sauce (which they also include on their condiments table).

The woman who checked us out also mentioned that they saw and talked about the comment I made on their Facebook wall so that was nice to hear!

Here's the answer to my question to them about their tofu: https://twitter.com/T...­