addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Vegans of the NC Triad Message Board › Iron Chef Winner and Recipe

Iron Chef Winner and Recipe

Heather N.
user 4621861
Portland, OR
Hey fellow veggie lovers,

We had a great turnout for the Iron Chef Potluck Challenge this month with delicious foods ranging from lip-smacking dips to savory BBQ seitan to raw sushi. It was hard to pick a winner from all the delicious food, but somehow we managed to do it.

The winning recipe won by a landslide and Keely (and her two adorable daughters), now crowned Vegan Iron Chef Greensboro, has kindly decided to share her recipe with us. Here it is, copied directly from the recipe she brought along to the potluck:

Keely's Roasted Carrot & Bell Pepper Romesco Sauce

My version of this Spanish sauce is high in vitamin C, Vitamin A, heart-healthy fats, and polyphenols (an ounce of almonds has as many polyphenols as a cup of green tea and 1/2 cup of steamed broccoli combied). It is an excellent source of lycopene and a good source of Vitamin E and Manganese. This sauce can be served as a dip or over sauteed tofu, veggies, and whole wheat pasta for a hearty dinner.

Ingredients:
2 cups roasted red peppers (see instructions below)
2 cups carrots (peeled, halved, chopped)
1 cup slivered almonds
3 cloves garlic
1 dried ancho chili (rehydrated and cut into pieces)
1 Tb apple cider vinegar (or sherry vinegar)
2 Tb olive oil
1/2 sea salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Drizzle carrots with small amount of olive oil and roast in oven 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and caramelized. Stir almonds in heavy small skillet over medium heat until golden, about 3 minutes (do not toast too long or they will become bitter). Transfer almonds and carrots to food processor. Add remaining ingredients except olive oil and begin to process, drizzle in the olive oil. If the consistency is too thick it can be thinned with vegetable broth.

To roast red peppers:
Cut peppers into quarters and remove the seeds and place skin sides up on a broiler pan. Place under broiler until the skins are blistering and black. Place in a paper bag for 15 minutes. The skins will peel right off.

I hope everyone tries Keely's delicious recipe! I'm definitely planning on having over pasta. Yum!

See you at the next meetup!

Heather

P.S. The September Greensboro Vegan Meetup will be a restaurant meetup. I'm in the process of trying to reserve us a table at the new vegetarian restaurant in Winston-Salem, Grilled Asparagus. I hope to have that event posted as soon as possible.
Ken
user 6377512
Jamestown, NC
Post #: 3
This delicious recipe (I tasted it) could be created completely raw/live by mixing the same ingredients, uncooked, in a food processor. Soak the almonds for 3-4 hours first then drain and rinse. Trying using a "smoky" spice like cumin to replace the cooked taste. Yum!!