addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Vegans of the NC Triad Message Board › The Lunch Club

The Lunch Club

Maria Valarie T.
Maria.Heartsong
Greensboro, NC
Hi Folks, I want to let you know about The Lunch Club, or TLC. It will be a weekly meeting of folks interested in compassionate action. We will meet over a three course vegan lunch plus coffee or tea (all food will be organic and locally sourced whenever possible). The Lunch Club begins Wednesday, Sept. 22 and will take place in a private Sunset Hills home most Wednesdays this fall between 12-2 pm. There is a $10 suggested donation. The food will be local and organic as much as possible. TLC will meet in a private Sunset Hills residence near UNCG between 12 and 2 pm most Wednesdays this fall. Space will be limited to approximately 20 members per week and reservations are required.

Folks can come and go between 12 and 2 pm. You don't have to stay for the full 2 hours. It will be up to the individual to allow them self enough time to eat during that window of time. So, at the latest, if you plan to come, try to make it by 1:30 or so as we would like it the gatherings to be over at 2 pm. If you have the time and inclination to relax over a two hour leisurely lunch, than by all means come at 12!

Regular attendance is not required.
A former member
Post #: 38
compassionate action? can you go into more detail?
Maria Valarie T.
Maria.Heartsong
Greensboro, NC
Post #: 21
Hi Caleb, what I mean is living life in as much of a non-coercive manner as possible! Of course, I am all for persuasion and encouragement, especially when it comes to advocating for the rights of all living beings!

A former member
Post #: 333
Valarie - your response has confused me more than the original post. Where is the 'action' part in your definition of compassionate action?
Maria Valarie T.
Maria.Heartsong
Greensboro, NC
Post #: 23
Valarie - your response has confused me more than the original post. Where is the 'action' part in your definition of compassionate action?

Hi Stephanie,

In my thinking lifestyle implies action. Being alive is action, being vegan is a great example of compassionate action, and as I said using encouragement or persuasion are forms of action that I engage in. I just try not to impose my will on anyone and I don't like to be coerced, or forced into anything. This has many implications in terms of thinking about what it means to try to live as freely as possible and to allow others to do so as well.

Let's talk philosophy over lunch, or at one of the vegan meetups, because the subject of trying to live a non-coercive, or compassionate action, lifestyle could keep us going here for many hours...

Best, Valarie

A former member
Post #: 334
I live in Durham and don't get to Greensboro much, hence my not attending many meetings. I am not sure it would be a fruitful discourse anyway since it sounds like you consider offering education to others imposing your will on others? My form of action involves living as an example, but also doing all I can to educate people about why I made the decision to be vegan in hopes that some will go vegan as well.
Maria Valarie T.
Maria.Heartsong
Greensboro, NC
Post #: 24
Sounds like we're on the same page to me. Please reread what I wrote. I use the term non-coercive, which means I don't try to force my views on others, but I did say I use persuasion and encouragement. Persuasion, without coercion (I made clear that I am opposed to coercion) means using good sound reasoning, otherwise how will you persuade anyone about anything? I am interested in other aspects of non-coercive living as well, for instance, my husband and I unschooled our kids (they are all adults now), which is a form of homeschooling that is all child directed - no curriculum; they were free to do what they wanted as they grew up. Sometimes I did try to persuade them to do certain things, like chores, but I didn't threaten them. And, as often as not, they persuaded me about things. So, as much as possible, I really try to live by gentle values; rarely forcing my will on others unless it's an emergency, like pulling a child away from the road. For me veganism fits into a whole spectrum of personal values that are centered around compassion (I was raised Buddhist and that philosophy is focused on awareness and compassion). Like you, I see myself as an educator by my lifestyle choices and by my community outreach, which is why I am hosting both the Harvest Dinner as well as The Lunch Club.