addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Triangle Indie Film Meetup Group Message Board › Good or Evil?: Awards Season (week of Jan. 8)

Good or Evil?: Awards Season (week of Jan. 8)

Brian
000brian000
Chapel Hill, NC
Post #: 66
Abby, I browse with Firefox, and the input boxes are always ample for me. But, yes, let's stay on topic...

At the risk of pointing out the obvious and coming across as sexist, I note that there is a decidedly "boy vs. girl" feel to this thread. The males all hate awards season, and the women seem to kind of dig it. Still, we've had a number of posts, but only among five total people, so that's hardly a representative sample. So far the breakdown is 2 for GOOD, 3 for EVIL. That leaves us with:

Awards Season: Moderately EVIL

Since we're currently in the midst of awards season 2007, I'm going to leave this discussion open for additional comments, rants, cheers, whatever. Let's see if perceptions of this annual ritual change as the season runs its course and the worshippers of the golden statuette make their pronouncements in his name.
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi all,
I'm new here and I hate to add to the developing gender divide, but I have to say awards season is good overall.

Although I may argue with many of the choices and omissions (I'm especially miffed about the criminal lack of recognition for Children of Men), awards really do help expose the moviegoing audiences to smaller films that otherwise only get played in major metropolitan areas and on the festival circuit. Within the current blockbuster-obsessed, major studio-dominated system, the awards are one of the few ways quality films in general, and indie films in particular, gain exposure beyond Sundance, the arthouses, and the film enthusiast community.

Since filmmakers gotta eat, and I for one think great art deserves an audience, I say bring on the gowns, red carpet, and cringe-making celebrity gaffes if it means there's more of an audience for the Last King of Scotland, Volver, etc. Ultimately, it means more of these movies get financing and get made.
David
DavidSpalding
Durham, NC
Post #: 46
Don't worry, Carole, Children of Men will not go unnoticed, just remember that many awards selections criteria mandate that films have to be in release in certain cities during the awards year. COM was in limited release in the US on 12/25, then went wide 1/05. We shall see.

As a sidebar to this discussion, an interesting article in The Guardian Unlimited points up a long-time problem with some awards, such as the Oscars. Trends over several years can make them seem biased.

Example: In recent years, Best Actress Oscars have gone to a younger set, incl. Hilary Swank, Reese Witherspoon and Charlize Theron ... prettier, more glamorous actresses, who certainly turned in great performances, but sometimes a young winner has a track record so short it makes you scratch your head. The last time the Best Actress Oscar went to someone over 40 was in 1996. As Ariel Levy puts it, "If you were a Martian and came down to watch a Hollywood movie you would think all women dropped dead at 45."

This year, the money is on a backlash to more mature actresses, notable not just for their ages, not just for the ages of their characters, but that Hollywood generally doesn't offer nearly as many juicy parts for mature women. As Kate Hepburn said in STATE OF THE UNION, "A woman would never run for the presidency, she'd have to admit she's over 35." Carole's page reminded me of Altman's THE PLAYER, a film which superbly illustrates how this happens.

This year the money's on several women who are, um, a bit over 35 ... Judi Dench, Helen Mirren, Meryl Streep, and relative youngster of the group Annette Bening.

There are other treats and surprises in the article, I heartily recommend reading it.
A former member
Post #: 6
Just to add to the confusion I HATE the Oscars. Hate, hate, HATE them. All the stupid scripted banter, the dance numbers. YAWN!

Thoroughly enjoyed the critic's choice awards last night since Little Miss Sunshine won just about everything (oh, and Jennifer Hudson who SO deserved the award). I was a happy, happy camper. Plus, they clocked in at one hour. Editing, man. It matters.
Jeff Q
jiffyq
Durham, NC
Post #: 28
I don't know about awards SEASON, but the Academy Awards tend to annoy me. I often watch at least part of them anyway, but they always seem to ignore, or almost ignore, some really good films. Last year, my top five films were:

Junebug
Loggerheads
The Squid and the Whale
Munich
Capote

(I also loved the film Serenity, because I'm sort of a sci-fi geek and I loved the tv show Firefly from whence Serenity came, but I realize that including Serenity on my list will cause some people not to take me seriously. So I'm leaving it off.)

Anyway, anyone remember how many award nominations (forget about awards) any of those top three got? Not many. Junebug got a best supporting actress nod (which Amy Adams richly deserved to win, but she lost to the almost equally deserving Rachel Weisz). That might've been it for nominations for those three films. In my (not so) humble opinion, Squid and the Whale should have gotten a best picture nomination, and probably noms for best actor and best actress as well. It's a crime that it didn't get any of those nominations. I thought it was the best film I saw in 2005, but what do I know? I thought Serenity was at least in the top 10 films of that year. So my critical abilities may be slightly impaired. I dunno.

2006 was not quite as good of a year for films as 2005, but there were still a few good ones. I would say that the film that qualifies as "most robbed" by the Academy this year is Children of Men. Two relatively minor nominations, and that's it. This one is probably my personal best picture of 2006, but just as with Squid and the Whale, nobody asked me for my vote. (What is WRONG with those people?!

So... if you're still adding votes in the good/evil contest, Brian, although I do pay attention to what the Academy does (if only to rant and rave about it), I say awards season: EVIL. (And I know I didn't even address the Golden Globes and the other awards shows. But what the hell.)

Jeff