After 3 successful trips that were universally loved by all, we are repeating the fantastic Northern Lights Multi-Activity Adventure in Swedish Lapland for 2014!
Many said this was such a great experience that they would still have loved it even if they didn't get to see the Northern Lights...but we've had magnificent displays here all 3 times!
As well as having the best chance of seeing the lights, we have a FULL program of Snowmobiling, Husky dog sledding, visit to the famous spectacular Ice Hotel, Cross country skiing, Snow Shoeing and visits to a Moose sanctuary and Sami reindeer herder!
The aurora borealis (Northern Lights) is one of the world’s most breathtaking phenomenon and on most peoples ‘bucket list’. The best time to see it in Lapland is December to February so we've picked a date for our adventure right in the middle of that period ;-) January 2014 is expected to give excellent displays!!
We have arranged an amazing package where the activities are suitable for everyone – no previous experience or skills are necessary – any training that is required will be provided as part of the activities.
The package costs £1349 and includes:
* All transfers to and from Kittila airport (Finland) to the resort in Sweden
* All Accommodation (Warm, spacious, twin bed rooms)
* All meals ~ deliciously home cooked (often organic/locally sourced) and non alcoholic drinks
* All activities in the schedule (except the 2 optional ones on Wednesday)
* High grade arctic thermal clothing (boots/trousers/coat/gloves/hat/balaclava)
* The resort is beside a frozen solid river for amazing open views of the Northern Lights
* Snowmobiling (2 people per machine -driver/passenger swap as desired)
* Husky Adventure (2 people per sledge -driver/passenger swap as desired)
* Visit to and talk by Sami Reindeer Herder (amongst the reindeer)
* Visit to a Moose Sanctuary
* Visit to the Ice Hotel
* Snow shoeing
* Cross country skiing
* Outside Sauna & Jacuzzi + inside Sauna
Our Jan 2013 trip photo's here
Our Feb 2013 trip photo's here
Check out this great video of the Northern Lights in their glory
Day 1 (Sat) Transfer from airport to resort, Briefing/overview of the week to come. Everyone issued with appropriate Arctic clothing for the week followed by home cooked welcome dinner (by unanimous agreement, the meals were delicious on previous trips).
Day 2 (Sun) Breakfast. Split into two groups where one will be going Cross country skiing in the morning, break for lunch then taking a Snowshoe trek in the afternoon with plenty of opportunities to take photo's in the forest and frozen lakes. Second group will do it the other way around. Evening meal, then relax, socialise, enjoy Hot Tub & Sauna at your leisure.
* Each evening you can enjoy the hot tub and sauna, walk down to the frozen river for a great view of the Northern Lights if they're out, take the cross country skis out, chill in your room or socialise in the lounge (free Wi-Fi available) & of course play in the snow, as you choose! ;-)
Day 3 (Mon) Early Breakfast. Snowmobile briefing and getting issued with kit. Snowmobile safari out into the deep wild winter wonderland, stopping for welcome hot drink en-route. Back for delicious hearty lunch & free afternoon to cross country ski, snow shoe, enjoy sauna/jacuzzi, chill in your room or the lounge.
Day 4 (Tue) Breakfast. Magical Husky Adventure into the wild frozen winter wonderland. Afternoon return to base on Huskies. Lunch then enjoy the usual mix of 'Freetime activities' (cross country skiing, snow shoeing, sauna/jacuzzi, chill in room or lounge).
Day 5 (Wed) Free day to explore the abundant snowy wilderness surrounds, PLUS today there are the 2 following awesome optional paid extra's: 2 hours Ice Driving in 2 seater buggy (min 4 people) and/or 2 hours 'single' rider snowmobiling activities. Lunch will be worked in there of course and for anyone not choosing the options, you can chill at base or do the usual freetime activities.
Day 6 (Thu) Breakfast. A cultural visit to a Sami Reindeer Herder with informative talk on the animals and Sami customs. This is a great chance to photograph the semi wild creatures. Lunch back at the ranch. Afternoon to explore more of the local wilderness or usual freetime activities.
Day 7 (Fri) Breakfast. Visit to the Moose sanctuary where the lucky ones gain refuge from being hunted. Lunch. In the afternoon we'll visit the famous Ice Hotel with it's numerous sculptures, themed rooms, church and chance for you to choose your poison in the bar!
Day 8 (Sat) Breakfast. Free time. Transfer back to Kittila Airport all dependent on flight time to be confirmed in August.
The essential aspects are that we all meet at Kittila airport in Finland,in time for our onward transport
at 18:30hrs on Sat 11th Jan 2014, where our onward transport to the resort will be waiting.
Likewise, they will get us back to Kittila airport for the onward journey home (or to wherever else you
might want to go) by 13:00Hrs on Sat 18th Jan.
So it is up to YOU to choose and arrange your flights accordingly. There are cheaper flights both on Finnair, Skyscanner and other websites depending on your flexibility to have a longer journey etc.
In previous trips here quite a few have taken the opportunity to stop over for a day or two in Helsinki or Stockholm.
Whatever your arrangements, please just ensure you are READY TO JUMP ON THE MINIBUS AT KITTILA FOR 18:30hrs ON 11TH & THAT YOU DON'T NEED TO BE AT KITTILA (Incl check-in time etc) TO CATCH YOUR RETURN FLIGHT BEFORE 13:00HRS.
We've looked at flights a few times over the last couple of months and as with previous years, we found the best option combination (based on weighing up a balance of departure
time/cost & flexibility & flight duration) to be with Finnair on their own website.
Obviously most will be flying from & back to London so the 'official' recommended flights are as follows:
1) Depart London Heathrow (Finnair AY832) 10:20hrs - Arrive Helsinki 15:15hrs
2) Depart Helsinki (Finnair AY455) 16:10hrs - Arrive Kittila 17:40hrs
3) Depart Kittila (Finnair AY448) 13:20hrs - Arrive Helsinki 14:45
4) Depart Helsinki (Finair AY833) 16:00hrs - Arrive London Heathrow 17:10hrs
Please just ensure you are READY TO JUMP ON THE MINIBUS AT KITTILA FOR 18:30hrs ON 11TH & THAT YOU DON'T NEED TO BE AT KITTILA (Incl check-in time etc) TO CATCH YOUR RETURN FLIGHT BEFORE 13:00HRS.
To secure your place:
1) RSVP on Meetup with an initial PayPal deposit of £50.
2) Transfer 3 payments into the account shown below as follows:
£965 by 31 August
£333 by 31 October
* Please use the a payment reference of: ‘arctic+yourname'
Account name: uDare
Sort Code: [masked]
A/C No: [masked]
* Due to the harsh climate & wild environment the itinerary may be subject to change at any time
* Flights are not included - We will notify participants of the preferred flights & confirm the exact meet time by the end of August 2013.
* We will all meet at the arrivals exit at Kittila International Airport (Finland). A Transfer is arranged to take us all in one go to our accommodation (and will return us to the same location a week later).
* Once we have a better idea of the flight shedules and prices in August, we will confirm the recommended flights so you can book as flights are not included in the package.
Please answer the RSVP questions to ensure we can contact you when necessary & make the correct clothing/equipment and food arrangements for you.
As stated in the event details, Arctic thermal clothing is issued to you at the start as it does get f-f-ffreezing out there! Hats, gloves, trousers, coats and boots are provided It's probably best to bring your own balaclava but is not a requirement ;-)
* Please ensure your travel insurance covers you for all the activities on this trip! ;-)
** Email any further questions you may have to [masked] **
By booking on to a uDare event you are confirming your agreement to our Terms & Conditions which can be viewed in full by clicking this link.
Be considerate, be responsible and enjoy!