addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Union Square Reading Group Message Board › What would you like to read for January and February?

What would you like to read for January and February?

Ion F.
ionFreeman
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 464
Please check that it's available in paperback, list the author and title, and sell the book a little. Thanks!
Jim H.
JimHeld
Group Organizer
Forest Hills, NY
Post #: 6
Was reading some Phillip K. Dick, the first science fiction author to have a book in the "Library of America".

To be honest he holds up pretty well as the many popular movies from his book can attest

Perhaps "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" which became the movie "Blade Runner"

Or my favorite favorite "The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldrich".

Thought provoking fascinating deep and detailed some written under the benefits (?) of LSD.

Dick haunts and is memorable.

Iris
user 9915241
New York, NY
Post #: 4
Books I would like to read:

THE IDIOT by F. Dostoyevsky

LORD OF THE FLIES by W. Golding

THE SCARLET LETTER by N. Hawthorne

HEART OF DARKNESS by J. Conrad

WAR AND PEACE by Tolstoy Although one month may not be enough time, it rates as one of the three best books I have ever read.

The Hemmingway book that the group did NOT read -- is it THE SUN... or FAREWELL... ?-- can't remember.
Iris
Judy A.
j.emily
New York, NY
Post #: 19
Iris, we've read The Idiot - smallest meetup ever, with just 5 of us showing up, as I recall.

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi guys,

Here are my suggestions:

Unaccustomed Earth - Jhumpa Lahiri
A Thousand splendid suns - Khaled Hosseini
Any human heart - William Boyd
Antonietta - John Hersey
The Lost Stradivarius - John Meade Falkner
Love in the time of cholera
The American - Henry James

Thanks for your consideration! Look forward to meeting you in the 1st :)

Tina
A former member
Post #: 8
More suggestions if needed:
House of Mirth (Edith Wharton)
Vanity Fair (William Thackeray)
Belly of the Beast (Emile Zola).
(The Union Sq reading list I saw only went up to 2008.)

Janet
Ion F.
ionFreeman
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 466