Following on from the resounding success of Unsung Live #4 (http://www.unsungstories.co.uk/blog/2016/17/8/unsung-live-4), we're happy to announce our return to The Star of Kings (http://starofkings.co.uk/) for our fifth evening of storytelling for fans of the best in contemporary speculative fiction.
Reading this time:
• Irenosen Okojie is a writer and Arts Project Manager. Her debut novel Butterfly Fish won a Betty Trask award. Her work has been featured in The Observer, The Guardian, the BBC and the Huffington Post amongst other publications. Her short stories have been published internationally. She was presented at the London Short Story Festival by Ben Okri as a dynamic writing talent to watch and was featured in the Evening Standard Magazine as one of London’s exciting new authors. Her short story collection Speak Gigantular will be published in 2016 by Jacaranda Books. Twitter: @IrenosenOkojie (https://twitter.com/IrenosenOkojie)
• Tade Thompson lives and works in the south of England. His background is in medicine, psychiatry and anthropology. His most recent works are the short story 'The Apologists' in Interzone #266, 'Decomissioned' in the NewCon Press anthology Crises and Conflicts, and the novel Rosewater from Apex Books. In 2015 he won the Kitchies Golden Tentacle award for his novel Making Wolf. Twitter: @TadeThompson (https://twitter.com/tadethompson)
• Pete Sutton has a not so secret lair in the wilds of Fishponds, Bristol, UK and dreams up stories, many of which are about magpies. He's the author of A Tiding of Magpies (Kensington Gore Press) and his novel Sick City Syndrome will be published late 2016. You can find him all over social media or worrying about events he’s organised at the Bristol Festival of Literature. He's contributing editor of Far Horizons e-magazine (https://farhorizonsmagazine.wordpress.com/), his Bristol Book Blog is here (http://brsbkblog.blogspot.co.uk)and his website here (https://petewsutton.com/). Twitter: @suttope (https://twitter.com/Suttope)
• Anne Charnock's writing career began in journalism. She operated as a freelance foreign correspondent writing for The Guardian, New Scientist, International Herald Tribune and Geographical. Her debut novel, A Calculated Life, was a finalist for the 2013 Philip K. Dick and Kitschies Golden Tentacle awards. Sleeping Embers of an Ordinary Mind, was included in The Guardian’s “Best science fiction and fantasy books of 2015.” Her latest novel, Dreams Before the Start of Time, will be published in April 2017 by 47North. And a novella, written in the world of A Calculated Life, will be published by NewCon Press. Anne is working with the Ada Lovelace Day to promote links between scientists and science fiction writers.
http://www.annecharnock.com Twitter: @annecharnock (https://twitter.com/annecharnock)
The event is FREE and all are welcome, but space is limited so make sure you RSVP.
If the event does hit full capacity, please sign up to the waiting list as spaces are likely to come up on the day – and we can can keep an eye on whether we should be thinking about a bigger venue.
And if you sign up to Unsung Shorts (http://signup.unsungstories.co.uk/shorts) you'll receive a brand-new piece of short speculative fiction delivered to your inbox once a fortnight and receive a FREE ebook (http://www.unsungstories.co.uk/the-best-of-unsung-shorts/) containing the best short stories we have published so far.
Here’s what people said about our previous event:
Total blast at @UnsungTweets #unsunglive tonight. Blown away that I was on the same bill as @AngelaSlatter @barquing @_els_. Elite company.
– @robboffard (https://twitter.com/robboffard/status/765668989678850051?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw)
Great night at #unsunglive last night. 4 great authors. 4 great readings.
– @SueOke (https://twitter.com/SueOke/status/765793506430451712?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw)
Incredible night at #unsunglive. Wonderful readings and lovely people. Looking forward to the next one!
– @Gambit589 (https://twitter.com/Gambit589/status/765664496312524802?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw)
Throughly enjoyed @UnsungTweets last night, particularly @_els_ and @AngelaSlatter stories! Always great to find new writers to read
– @NiciSaltonWest (https://twitter.com/NiciSaltonWest/status/765844660598218752?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw)
Livin’ it up at the awesome #UnsungLive with their fantastical (but actual) live readers. Boom.
– @GarethAPearce (https://twitter.com/GarethAPearce/status/765615976926904320?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw)