addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Mike The V.
user 10897454
Chicago, IL
I've been doing some thinking lately about this group, my decision to be vegan, animal welfare, and the diverse viewpoints of vegans and vegetarians I've met in my life.  I want people to understand how I feel about some of these things, and my aspirations for this group, in order to help people decide if it's something they want to be a part of.

Before I start, it's important to make some disclaimers.   First, these thoughts are mine and don't necessarily reflect those of the people of this group.  They may not even be the same as those of my friends, which is okay with me because I realize I may be wrong about some of the things I believe.  I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again.  For this reason, there are not many people who I look down on.  I have some respect for anyone who thinks carefully before making major decisions (i.e. diet, how to treat others, etc.).  Even so, I have certain strong beliefs, and while I am not absolutely certain of their correctness, I do try and act in support of them as much as possible.

I am vegan mainly because I believe animals suffer when they are raised to be eaten, when they are kept to produce products like milk and eggs, and when they are used for other purposes.  I also believe raising animals has a negative effect on the environment.  Animal based food is alot more costly then it seems.  One of my hopes with creating this group was to gather people together who wanted to make informed decisions.

In spite of my dietary choice, I would like people with any diet to be a part of the group, especially if you have an interest in and sympathy towards the issues mentioned here.  All open-minded, thoughtful, intelligent people are encouraged to join.  It's always good to hear differing viewpoints.  Further, there are many organizations that deal with animal welfare and other activism.  While I support this sort of work, the main function of this group (for now) is to bring people together to learn and meet other decent, intelligent people.  I don't know about anyone else, but if my friends all thought exactly like me, I would be incredibly bored.  Worse, my debating skills would atrophy.

Well, if you've got this far, I'd love if you join us next time for a vegan dinner and whatever else we decide to do.

Cheers.