addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Minneapolis Vegan Meetup Message Board › GROWING demand for meat? Did anyone see this article?

GROWING demand for meat? Did anyone see this article?

Sundey
sundey
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 1
What the??

World's first lab-grown burger is eaten in London

Scientists took cells from a cow and, at an institute in the Netherlands, turned them into strips of muscle that they combined to make a patty.

One food expert said it was "close to meat, but not that juicy" and another said it tasted like a real burger.

Researchers say the technology could be a sustainable way of meeting what they say is a growing demand for meat.

The burger was cooked by chef Richard McGeown, from Cornwall, and tasted by food critics Hanni Ruetzler and Josh Schonwald.

MORE......
http://www.bbc.co.uk/...­

A former member
Post #: 6
isn't this a good thing?...less harm to the animals im thinkin...
Kris A.
Kris_Anne
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 4
Hey, just read the following quote from this article:

Lab-grown meat is (currently) not “cruelty-free.” In order to grow cells, you need to give them nutrients, and it turns out that a great source of nutrients is fetal bovine serum (harvested from the slaughterhouse). So, if you’re the kind of person who would welcome lab-grown meat because it doesn’t involve killing an animal, you may be shocked to realize it was soaked in serum from a cow fetus.
A former member
Post #: 2
I read this too :) While I am all for reducing the greenhouse gas emissions associated with factory farming, this still has a lot of ethical issues. For one they use animals to create this lab-grown flesh. For another, I personally believe that putting something so unnatural into our bodies can't possibly be healthy for us. Even if they did make this "meat" cruelty free, I would never put this science experiment into my body. That's just my opinion though :)
Sundey
sundey
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 2
Hey, just read the following quote from this article:

Lab-grown meat is (currently) not “cruelty-free.” In order to grow cells, you need to give them nutrients, and it turns out that a great source of nutrients is fetal bovine serum (harvested from the slaughterhouse). So, if you’re the kind of person who would welcome lab-grown meat because it doesn’t involve killing an animal, you may be shocked to realize it was soaked in serum from a cow fetus.
Agreed. Aside from the obvious issues concerning animals, I would be interested to know where they get the data that supports the drive by statement that there is a growing demand for meat. So much so, that they have to start growing it in labs.

I read this too :) While I am all for reducing the greenhouse gas emissions associated with factory farming, this still has a lot of ethical issues. For one they use animals to create this lab-grown flesh. For another, I personally believe that putting something so unnatural into our bodies can't possibly be healthy for us. Even if they did make this "meat" cruelty free, I would never put this science experiment into my body. That's just my opinion though :)
I agree. It kind of skeeves me out. A friend sent me this article and asked me would I eat this kind of meat since it does not involve killing animals. Without reading the article to find out if that were true, my first reaction was no way. It sounds nasty, and just a bit too science fiction horror movie to me. Gave me the creeps.
A former member
Post #: 4
I think the concept has potential. Although this "meat" is not cruelty-free yet, if it could become so, there might be more people who would stop using animals for food. I am willing to admit that I miss the feeling of well-being I get from a nice salmon steak -- perhaps this lab-grown muscle would provide that.

It reminds me a bit of the fake blood in the HBO series True Blood that allows vampires to live among humans without feeding on them.