addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Vegan Chicago Message Board Vegan Chicago Speaker Events › PRE-TALK: Genetically-Modified Food Talk

PRE-TALK: Genetically-Modified Food Talk

Closed to new replies

Dave D.
dave.dandelion
Chicago, IL
Post #: 662
This thread is in regards to our speaker event with Dr. Kevin Folta: Kevin Folta talks about the science of genetically-modified food.

If you have any questions and can't make the event please feel free to talk about them here and we'll see about getting them addressed at the event and come back to update.

*UPDATE: If you would like the chance to get your concerns brought up at the talk in your absence please summarize your concern in the form of a question and I'll get them on a list. Thanks!
Dave D.
dave.dandelion
Chicago, IL
Post #: 663
FYI if you want a sneak peek, here's an interview with Kevin Folta on the Skeptically Speaking podcast.
Skeptically Speaking: #71 Genetically Modified Foods
A former member
Post #: 238
After about 15 minutes of previews/commercials I was able to listen to the actual interview.
He obviously presents an opposite view of what was presented in Film and Discussion about Genetically Modified Food meetup ( http://www.chicagoveg...­ ). I guess he doesn't see that the arguments that were brought in "The Future of Food" as scientific or doesn't believe in their factuality.
Dave D.
dave.dandelion
Chicago, IL
Post #: 664
After about 15 minutes of previews/commercials I was able to listen to the actual interview.
He obviously presents an opposite view of what was presented in Film and Discussion about Genetically Modified Food meetup ( http://www.chicagoveg...­ ). I guess he doesn't see that the arguments that were brought in "The Future of Food" as scientific or doesn't believe in their factuality.

Vadim, I'm not familiar with that movie so I can't comment. Perhaps you can summarize some of the arguments so we can bring them to Dr. Folta at the talk!

BTW, it's easy to skip the first 15 minutes of the podcast by forwarding the playhead on the audio player.
A former member
Post #: 239
Dave - Unfortunately I will be out of town and won't be able to attend. However, after listening to Dr. Folta's interview it becomes clear that he (along with Monsanto researchers) doesn't accept the arguments and results of the following publication: http://www.responsibl...­ that has 132 references. Therefore, it seems almost pointless to argue or question anything in this case.

Personally I would be very happy if we could at least label products as GMO or Non-GMO so people would have awareness and choice. To the best of my knowledge, Monsanto was suing manufacturers that labeled their food as damaging to Monsanto profit. In a similar manner, Monsanto was suing farmers whose crops were infected by Monsanto's GM crops. To me it's totally ridiculous but it's only my personal opinion.

However, I am glad that you brought this topic out as I believe the more people knows about this issue the more chances that they will seek an answer and hopefully make a correct conclusion for themselves.
Parag
user 4974895
Kenosha, WI
Post #: 12
Farmers are saving seeds from generations. Now their seeds are infested by GM seeds. Monsanto is suing famers for stealing their seeds even though it can happen just by air pollination. Currently companies have right to enter into farms and responsibility to prove innocence lies on shoulder of farmers.

This must change. Just showing that crops are infested with GM seeds should not be considered as sufficient evidence to consider farmers guilty of stealing. It does not prove guilt. But companies have lobbied to change laws in their favor. I believe rather companies should pay damages to farmers if their saved seeds get infested with GM seeds.

How does this tie into opposing GM food production-
GM food requires expensive research investments which are now mostly undertaken by corporations. To reap profits, they must maximize sale of GM crops by
i) reducing diversity of food i.e. fewer variety crops
ii) Increase market share. Companies are using unethical means to achieve these goals. List include.. suing farmers / forcing them to use GM seeds/ against saving seeds/ changing laws in favor
iii) Increasing yield by eradicating everything else that grows/depends on crops.

First point has direct impact on heath of consumers. You know what happens when one consume mostly corn products :) Second has impact on rights of farmers/people. Either is detrimental for wellbeing of society. Third point has direct impact on long term health of planet. It will reduce diversity of species. If we remove one chain from eco-system, we end up with unwanted consequences usually far late to realize damages. Every specie has purpose and eliminating it for short term gain is not sustainable way of food production.
Dave D.
dave.dandelion
Chicago, IL
Post #: 665
Great questions guys, keep em coming, thanks!
Dave D.
dave.dandelion
Chicago, IL
Post #: 666
I'll start adding articles and info here as I come across them. Here's something hot off my RSS reader:

Is the Catholic Church in favour of GM crops?
A former member
Post #: 240
Dave - As I mentioned I listened to Dr. Folta's presentation via the posted by you link.
In case you (or anyone else) are interested to hear an oppose opinion that presented in "The Future of Food" you can access it at http://www.hulu.com/w...­
It also has commercials. I don't think you can fast-forward them but it's only about 30 seconds wink
Dave D.
dave.dandelion
Chicago, IL
Post #: 667
Thanks for the info and links everybody. Ya know, I'm starting to think I'm gonna get overwhelmed here pretty soon but I'm glad there is alotta interest in this topic. If you would like me to get your questions on the list to bring up with Dr. Folta it would certainly help me out if you could summarize your concerns in the form of a question. I plan to do a recap here afterwards.

Thanks again!