addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Vegan Chicago Message Board Vegan Chicago Speaker Events › POST-TALK: Genetically-Modified Food Talk

POST-TALK: Genetically-Modified Food Talk

Dave D.
dave.dandelion
Chicago, IL
Post #: 679
This thread is a followup of PRE: Genetically-Modified Food Talk. If you have any new questions or related info please post here, thanks!
Kevin F.
user 13582946
Gainesville, FL
Post #: 13
Hi Dave and Vegan Chicago,

Thank you very much for hosting the event. I had a great time presenting, attempting to answer your questions and meeting all of you. Even if you still disagree, you know more about the process and were exposed to the issues through the lens of a scientist.

Email me, or even call, anytime if you have questions or concerns regarding this topic.

I do sincerely appreciate the opportunity.

Kevin Folta
A former member
Post #: 2
The main thing that struck me was how a scientist was speaking purely to the science of making a food "stronger" in 5 years compared to 50... but my point was the problems they are trying to address are already solved with other things in nature! Big Agri doesn't like it though because it costs pennies on the dollar!!!!

Science is great, but check out how something as natural as Ocean Minerals addresses all the problems of yield, mineral content, flavor and organic growth without pesticides, herbacides or even fertilizer:

“….I decided to do a comparison between one corn field that was in transition to organic corn and one that was not. I added SEA-90 at 6 lbs per acre to my normal liquid row support solution and sprayed 6 lbs per acre in basically the same solution at the third leaf. The total cost of the two treatments combined was $26 per acre. The conventional field received the normal commercial fertilizer application and the cost was $120 per acre. The organic acreage produced 117 bushels per acre and the commercial field 122 bushels per acre. I got almost the same production for $94 less per acre and after that crop certified that field organic.
Larry C.
Lake Odessa, MI

“…..I started asparagus last year and had poor growth and lots of weeds. Then I met Mr. Cain at MOSES conference where he suggested I try SEA-90. He informed me that all the “old timers” used rock sea salt on their asparagus and the practice ended after WW2 when the chemical companies started pushing herbicides. Then came root rot fungus and the demise of the asparagus industry in many areas of our country. SEA-90 appears to serves two functions. The sea minerals deter weed growth and restrict asparagus seed germination plus fertilizes the plants with the minerals and trace elements. My asparagus could not be any healthier or more vigorous!”
Piper Farms, WI

http://www.seaagri.co...­

If you grow your own food, Ocean Minerals will give you a lot of what you need to make a bumper delicious crop with all the minerals your body needs...

It just won't help big agri feed the world, but it will help feed you...

Dave D.
dave.dandelion
Chicago, IL
Post #: 681
Hi Dave and Vegan Chicago,

Thank you very much for hosting the event. I had a great time presenting, attempting to answer your questions and meeting all of you. Even if you still disagree, you know more about the process and were exposed to the issues through the lens of a scientist.

Email me, or even call, anytime if you have questions or concerns regarding this topic.

I do sincerely appreciate the opportunity.

Kevin Folta
Kevin, thanks for you generosity and passion for science outreach. You're a rare breed and I consider us very lucky to have had the opportunity to have you at one of our events.

I know you're a busy, busy person and I can't expect you to hang around these message boards forever at our beck and call but I do have a few questions that I was unable to ask myself last night. The downside of organizing these events is that I rarely get to enjoy them myself. I think there are two very important points that specifically relate to veganism.

1) Animal testing - ethical implications aside how much animal testing is involved in GM tech? If GM is just a safe (or more for the fewer genes it moves around) as conventional breeding then why would there be animal testing? Would there be a day when GM isn't tested on animals? Is there testing on animals for conventional breeding of plants?

2) Specialty/fortified food plants - When I originally brought up the idea of fortification of plants through GM I was half-joking. You know how a science story breaks and the media makes outlandish predictions on what it can do? Well I was kinda riffing on that but would it really be possible to fortify plant foods with B12 and DHA n-3? What about non-essential convenience foods like dairy? If so, what would it take to get there and how can we help that along?

Oh man, I have a bazillion more ideas now but I'll just leave it at that. I hate to ask any more of you really. Thanks again and keep on rocking it!

BTW Kevin, please enjoy the rest of your holiday and ignore this thread for a while. cool
Parag
user 4974895
Kenosha, WI
Post #: 23
Farmer sucide video
http://www.celsias.co...­

Wikipedia ( It also has some links to refreed journals/case paper)
http://en.wikipedia.o...­'_suicides_in_India

Case study linking other factors may play role in farmer sucide
http://www.ifpri.org/...­

Article in response to above case study linking BT-cotton to farmer sucide.
http://www.i-sis.org....­
--------------------------------------­----------------------------------------­-----------
My over all views-

1) I doubt generalizability of GM research (BT cotton ). Yields obtained in laboratory or under controlled farms may not replicate in real life farms. Usefulness is limited. So GM may increase production under controlled experiments but one can not say "GM will make farmers happy" or "it will eliminate would hunger" We have evidence against it. Different approaches should be used rather than GM to tackle these problems.
2) Even though company knew of this ( as shown in video) still they used unethical advertisements (may be legal)/ fradulent agents to market seeds which brought ultimate doom to farmers.

Dave D.
dave.dandelion
Chicago, IL
Post #: 683
We have evidence against it. Different approaches should be used rather than GM to tackle these problems.
Ok well what is your evidence then? (Please provide scientific peer-reviewed sources.)

2) Even though company knew of this ( as shown in video) still they used unethical advertisements (may be legal)/ fradulent agents to market seeds which brought ultimate doom to farmers.
I'm not sure what your point is here as it relates to GM technology. Please clarify.

thanks!
Ken
KennM
Chicago, IL
Post #: 19
I went to Dr. Folta talk...

Not too satisfying ??

1. Science is good
2. Anything bad that happens with GM foods is the fault of of BIG AG, not science.
3. There is no way science can be sure they are safe.
4. But this stuff is really cool & we can do it, so we should...

It seemed to me this guy's whole talk was about how he just
wants "absolution"...
He wants our approval that he's a nice guy & basically wants to
do good (which he may be?).
Like an Atomic Scientist who say's the Atom bomb & radioactive
waste, is not my fault !

We can not & should not view science in a vacuum isolated from it's use ( misuse ) by Corporations, government, & those effects on our society.
How these things effect us & our society are exactly the point !
When we are now dealing with the essential building blocks of
life, I'm not so sure we should, like in the past, take an "if we can, we should" attitude.
When he takes jellyfish DNA & makes glow in the dark strawberries!
It doesn't take an Eisenstein to know, we perhaps should be
extremely cautious there are no unintended consequences ?
Parag
user 4974895
Kenosha, WI
Post #: 24
One can not say "GM will make farmers happy" or "it will eliminate world hunger" We have evidence against it. Different approaches should be used rather than GM to tackle these problems.
Ok well what is your evidence then? (Please provide scientific peer-reviewed sources.)

thanks!

Dear Dave,

I have heard lot about peer-reviewed sources (prs) in meeting and later. But I would like to clarify what one should look for in prs. If there is a scientific discovery or research, something claimed to be discovered this one should find in prs. Historical facts/events should be looked in News, governmental (or internationally known agency) records NOT PEER-REVIEWED SOURCES. PRS is not place to publish these.

We have evidence that farmers using BT cotton are unhappy and doing suicide on large scale. If you care to watch video, you will find evidence. Also there are references in Wikipedia. You can check records of Indian Government.

Just like we do not need PRS to establish people died in 9/11 instead we rely news/ videos and US government records, I hope we should do the same in case of deaths of Indian farmer.

Thanks
Parag
user 4974895
Kenosha, WI
Post #: 25

Why technology can not eliminate world hunger - a logical argument
http://www.hulu.com/w...­

Ken
KennM
Chicago, IL
Post #: 22

Why technology can not eliminate world hunger - a logical argument
http://www.hulu.com/w...­

I watched this video which Parag suggested & liked it & I recommend it !