Climbing Series Event - Skyline Drive - 73.5 miles, 7,300 feet of climbing
Day 2 of a weekend full of climbing around the valley
WHEN SIGNING UP PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU ALSO PLAN TO RIDE THE SATURDAY RIDE VIA ANSWERING THE REQUESTED QUESTIONS ON THE SIGN UP (AND ALSO SIGN UP FOR THAT ONE). NEED TO GAUGE 2 DAY INTEREST TO SET UP HOTEL ROOMS.
Starting in Front Royal this ride will require driving to the start. When responding please let group know if you are available to carpool and from where.
This ride is planned to be clockwise - starting right out of the box with the climb up Skyline Drive to Luray and then the last 35 miles rolling along the valley.
Ride map attached and description below is based on counter-clockwise route. Allows for rest stops at mile 24, 41, and 59
We climb from the start with multiple climbs and descents on Skyline Drive
1st Climb - 6.7 miles from mile 0 - 1,672 ft - 4.7% grade (can stop at park station at mile 5)
Descend approx 2 miles
2nd climb - 2.5 miles from mile 8.5 - 619 ft - 4.7% grade
flat for a couple miles
3rd climb - approx 3.5 miles from mile 13 - 715 ft - 3.9% grade
Descend approx 2 miles
4th climb - approx 3 miles from mile 18.5 - 833 ft - 5.3% grade
Descend for approx 3 miles before a long stretch on the plateau before a turning off Skyline onto Rt 211 and an 8 mile descent into Luray. Please note Rt 211 is a fast descent, with a couple semi-technical turns.
From the 2nd rest stop its basically rolling valley roads all the way back to the start. We will have to be on 340 for two stretches, the 1st for about 2.5 miles and the 2nd for about 6 miles. This can be a busy road so you should be comfortable riding with faster traffic.
Total distance:approx 77 miles
Total elevation climbed: approx 7,700 feet
Pace: Medium: 14+ mph avg (climbing tends to slow one down); Category B/B+ ride; should be at least at an intermediate ride level (i.e. not novice) due to the amount of climbing
Terrain: hilly, a few good climbs
Start/Finish: Front Royal, VA - carpooling recommended.
Highlights: undulating terrain, rolling countryside, climbing and descending Skyline Drive
The route/cue sheet can be viewed at the link below (subject to change):
Ride with GPS cue
- It is highly recommended, but not mandatory, that you attend at least one of the prior climbing training events. I like to have a feel of everyone's riding pace before the ride. While group is likely to break into smaller packs during the ride and ride is intended to be a no drop ride, given the amount of climbing it is difficult to maintain entire group together. It is not fair to the faster riders to have to wait too long at top of the climbs. I will have cue sheets available but it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the ride route prior to the ride in case the group splits.
Because of the climbing I will maintain a ride limit of 25 riders. In the past this has allowed for group to typically finish within 20-40 minutes between front group and back group of each other
Size group could be increased if others are willing to step up as ride leaders.
HELMETS ARE REQUIRED FOR PARTICIPATION:
- ID, spare tube, portable tire pump recommended
- clip-in/cage pedals are required due to the amount of climbing
- Road bike is highly recommended.
- This ride has 3 planned food/drink stops but bring at least two water bottles and pocket snacks are recommended
The event may be cancelled in event of rain
email me if you have any questions