addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

VeloDCity: a Washington Area Bicycling Group Message Board › 2011 VASA Ride - March 6

2011 VASA Ride - March 6

Maki
user 6188740
Washington, DC
Post #: 11
I'm up for the full ride! I hope my schedule works out.
joe
user 5670247
Reston, VA
Post #: 24
Already registered. Folks from another meetup (NoVa Casual Bikers) will be there also.

I'm riding 14 or 28 based on what my gf feels like doing that day.

Skol!
Maki
user 6188740
Washington, DC
Post #: 12
Who is going to be at the ride? I'm signed up for the full ride, but I guess it will be hard to find y'all...
ChrisR
user 6077080
Frankfurt, DE
Post #: 172
Makiko,

I'll be doing the full Vasa ride and leading a group of about eight other riders from the NOVA-CBG Meetup group. We plan to meet on the southside of the Embassy near the flag poles and the path to Thompson boat house. You are welcome to join us, but I don't know what kind of pace we will be doing (probably just fast enough to get back in time for the blueberry soup).

If we get the rain that is currently forecast, I expect the turnout will be down. If it's raining, I'll be on an old red and blue Raleigh with downtube shifters and fenders. If we don't get rain, I'll be riding a grey Salsa Pistola (both are road bikes).

ChrisR
Marc
Marc.K
Washington, DC
Post #: 3
I'm going to try to find and meet you all for this ride, too. Hopefully it will not be raining. Looking forward to meeting and riding with you! Hopefully I can find you. If you see me wandering around looking lost, please call me over. I'll be on a blue, black and white Trek. See you Sunday morning.... Marc
A former member
Post #: 31
I'll look for you all outside the embassy a little before 8am. The forecast looks wet and chilly, so I might not do the full ride after all. Blueberry soup sounds like it could be gross, or really good!
ChrisR
user 6077080
Frankfurt, DE
Post #: 173
Wayne, The full and halv routes stay together for the first 16 miles (intersection of Falls and River Rd). Trust me wink the soup is really good and is served warm. If you want to take the korte route, it heads east from the House of Sweden along the waterfront, eventually circling RFK and heading back.
ChrisR
user 6077080
Frankfurt, DE
Post #: 175
The weather forecast looks pretty certain for some kind of rain at the time of the ride. One report includes comments that the worst of the rain may not start until late Sunday morning or early Sunday afternoon. That may mean that while you'll get wet doing the korte or halv VASA, you might still get it in and get your blueberry soup before things get bad.
PaulB
pbastek
Silver Spring, MD
Post #: 8
I drank the Kool-Aid and showed up for the ride. The route took us out MacArthur Boulevard and up the big hill to Falls Road. We wandered around the side roads hitting Glen Road, South Glen Road, and Glen Mill Road several times before reaching the turn-around point at the corner of Glen and Travilah. I learned what is not rain gear when it is really raining, but it was warm enough that it was not miserable. Soaking wet, yes.
And there was plenty of blueberry soup at the end.
Paul smile
Al S.
BikeCaseForRent
Potomac, MD
Post #: 168
I thought about braving the weather too, but had a change of heart at the last minute. Now I dont have to second guess how the ride went with the forecasted weather.
Thanks Paul