addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Stephen_N
j_s_nightingale
Rockville, MD
Post #: 321
========================================­==========
Deep Blue 18K TT, St Augustine, DE, Sunday September 4th, 2011
Scroll down to the last entry here for the report.
======================================­============
Betterton Bay-to-Bay 50 miler, Sunday June 26th, 2011
Carlisle 40K TT, Sunday June 19th, 2011
Philadelphia Amateur Time Trial, Saturday June 4th, 2011
6th Annual C-130 Time Trial, Dover, DE
Scroll down to the last entry here for the report. For full results and picture of the way cool start ramp see the report on the UK Time Trialling Forum .
Quick report on May 1st, 2011 Carlisle 20k. Nice weather, slightly chilly at 7am but great conditions at race time. Minimal wind. This was my first time on the course and I would agree with Stephen's description of "gently rolling." However, I was surprised at how much up and down there was over 20k. Toward the end of my race I came upon an 18-wheeler blocking the road. I had to slow down but managed to get by on the shoulder. The riders coming in the opposite direction were not so lucky: they were queued up waiting for the truck to get out of the way.

Amish buggies were of course one of the highlights. I saw two coming toward me just before the turnaround and passed them on the way back. Not many TT courses feature this type of technical challenge ;-)

Over all a fun, low-key race, great way to build up to the major events of the season. Thanks to Dan Daly for doing all the legwork and putting on a great race.

Cheers, John M.

Edit: Results of this race and all Dan Daly's Carlisle and New Jersey races are here: http://www.pabikeraci...­
The annual Conquer the Canal 12 mile Time Trial, promoted by Fat Frogs racing was held on
Saturday April 9th at the Dismal Swamp Canal State park in Chesapeake, Virginia.
Full results now on the Timetrialling Forum: http://www.timetriall...­

Temperature was about 15C, and the 10-15mph wind was not too helpful on the way out,
and very unhelpful on the way back. Still there were 161 finisher including 41 women, with the
fastest times being Laura Cook of Vanderkitten Racing with 29:35 (24:40 equivalent for 10 miles),
and Robert Garwood of Final Kick Racing, with 25:09 (20:57 equivalent for 10 miles).

The course is pan flat, on an unused 'oxbow' section of Route 17 that runs by the side of the delightful
Dismal Swamp Canal, in the Tidewater area of Virginia. The surface is good, but not perfect, quality, with
some striations here and there. The usual windy conditions are mitigated by the tree cover on either side
of this 2 lane road, but not by much. The road was empty save for 161 time triallists at 30 second intervals.

There is a vibrant Time Trial scene in this flat (but windy) area of the country and most riders were
local including a hopping crowd from Fat Frogs Racing, a good representation from Richmond, VA
100 miles to the North West, a scattering of riders from as far away as Washington DC, 220 miles
and 4 hours drive away, and some from North Carolina an hour or so South. Full results are below.
Categories include: Juniors 13-14, Boys 10-12, Girls 10-12, Cat 5 men, Cat 4 men, Cat 3 men,
Cat 1-2 men, Cat 4 women, Cat 3 women, Cat 1-2 women, and Masters categories 30+, 40+, 50+ and 60+.

As usual, the older master's categories show that time doesn't slow them by much and Bernie Sanders
of Eastcoasters/BRBC led the over 60s with 28:21 (23:37 equivalent), and Roger Friend of Monticello
won the over 50s with 26:11 (21:49 equivalent). He was evidently riding Thomas Jefferson's old bike.
====================
Following on from last year's Time Trialling discussions. There is quite a rich season of Time Trial events this year, in 2 hour driving distance from DC. This includes old favourites, an interesting modification to the Deep Blue TT and a whole new 20 mile Time Trial on roads known to the Potomac Pedallers Fall Century crowd. All of these can be entered on BikeReg.

The season:

Apr 17 Carlisle, PA 20K/40K 2hrs drive, up route 15.
May 1 Carlisle, PA 20K/40K 2hrs drive, up route 15.
May 7 Deep Blue TT 22 miles, Dover, DE, 2hrs drive, over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and North West.
May 22 Carlisle, PA 20K/40K 2hrs drive, up route 15.
June 19 Carlisle, PA 20K/40K 2hrs drive, up route 15.
June 25 Spring Church Creek 40K TT, Cambridge, MD, 2hrs drive, over the Bay Bridge and South.
June 26 Bay-to-Bay 50/100 miles, Betterton, MD, over the Bay Bridge then North, 2 hours drive.
July 10 Carlisle, PA 20K/40K 2hrs drive, up route 15.
July 30 Shenandoah TT, 20 miles, Shenandoah, VA, 2 hours drive, West on I-66, South on 340.
Aug 13 Highway to Heaven Hill Climb, Ellicott City, MD, 1hr drive.
Aug 14 Carlisle, PA 20K/40K 2hrs drive, up route 15.
Aug 20 Fall Church Creek 40K TT, Cambridge, MD, 2hrs drive, over the Bay Bridge and South.
Sept 4 Deep Blue 18K TT, St Augustine, DE, 2 1/4hrs drive, over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and North West.
Sept 18 Carlisle, PA 20K/40K 2hrs drive, up route 15.

Discussion:

• All new, the Shenandoah 20 mile Time Trial on Route 340 in Virginia, South of Berryville will offer a course that has a lot of flat, but also some sharp hills, so bring your geared bike. Should be an interesting new addition to the calendar.
  • Big makeover for the May 7 Deep Blue TT. Now over 22 miles instead of 11, and the start is down the ramp of a C-130 transport plane in Dover, DE. Course is flat and fast.
  • Dan Daly's traditional season of events on the gently rolling Walnut Bottom road, south of Carlisle, PA. 6 occasions for improving your 40K personal best time from April through September. Low key and friendly. Watch out for the Amish buggies gently cantering down the road and be alert to the 'exhaust fumes' discretely piled on the road.
  • Always the highlight of my season: the Betterton Bay-to-Bay 50 miler on a mainly flat Eastern shore course around Betterton - Galena - Millington- Chestertown.
  • June 25 and August 20, the "Spring" and "Fall" Church Creek 40K events. Some people do fast times. Most just die from heat-stroke on this flat but brutal course held at unfavourable times of the day and the year.
  • August 13; the Highway to Heaven Hill Climb, only a mile but what a lung-burster, climbing out of the Patapsco valley with a starting grade of 20%.
  • And not withstanding all of the above I will be starting my season with the Conquer the Canal 12 mile Time Trial on the flat, traffic free roads of Chesapeake,VA, on April 9. This is a 4 hour drive, however.

Gregg
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 502
Thanks Stephen. I learned much from your 2010 TT log and I greatly look forward to reading the 2011 edition.
Stephen_N
j_s_nightingale
Rockville, MD
Post #: 322
Thanks Stephen. I learned much from your 2010 TT log and I greatly look forward to reading the 2011 edition.
And as you know Gregg, the best way to learn is learning by doing. You can borrow my deep carbon wheels for your toes-in-the-water Time Trial ride and they will help you to float up the hills and into the wind.
Gregg
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 504
And as you know Gregg, the best way to learn is learning by doing. You can borrow my deep carbon wheels for your toes-in-the-water Time Trial ride and they will help you to float up the hills and into the wind.

Nice! Appreciate the offer and I hope to take you up on your offer sometime this season.
Stephen_N
j_s_nightingale
Rockville, MD
Post #: 323
The annual Conquer the Canal 12 mile Time Trial, promoted by Fat Frogs racing was held on
Saturday April 9th at the Dismal Swamp Canal State park in Chesapeake, Virginia.
Full results now on the Timetrialling Forum: http://www.timetriall...­
John M
user 14575697
Kensington, MD
Post #: 1
Quick report on May 1st, 2011 Carlisle 20k. Nice weather, slightly chilly at 7am but great conditions at race time. Minimal wind. This was my first time on the course and I would agree with Stephen's description of "gently rolling." However, I was surprised at how much up and down there was over 20k. Toward the end of my race I came upon an 18-wheeler blocking the road. I had to slow down but managed to get by on the shoulder. The riders coming in the opposite direction were not so lucky: they were queued up waiting for the truck to get out of the way.

Amish buggies were of course one of the highlights. I saw two coming toward me just before the turnaround and passed them on the way back. Not many TT courses feature this type of technical challenge ;-)

Over all a fun, low-key race, great way to build up to the major events of the season. Thanks to Dan Daly for doing all the legwork and putting on a great race.

Cheers
Stephen_N
j_s_nightingale
Rockville, MD
Post #: 324
Best venue ever for a Time Trial start, the Air Mobility Command
museum at Dover Air Force Base, in Delaware. 154 riders of all ages,
shapes, sizes and genders picked their way around the retired
transport planes, warming up. Starters filed into the body of a C-130
Transport plane, and powered (or wobbled) their way down the ramp,
threaded through the infield, and battered their way North on Route 9
into the teeth of a 10-15mph wind. This was the "Sixth Annual C-130
Time Trial" organized by the Delaware Racing Team, held on Saturday
May 7, 2011. There were all sorts of Junior, Men's, Women's, age
graded Masters, Tandem, and 2-up categories. Josh Frick led the entire
field by completing the 21 miles: 11 out and 10 home in 43:49, the
equivalent of doing a 25 in 52:10. A very impressive time for a rustic
two lane course, and his nearest competition was Stephen Robinson who
led the Masters 35+ category in 44:29. Competition among the women was
less fierce with a minute each separating the first three in the Open
category: Alaina Gurski finishing in 52:18, Katrina Dowidchuk
following up with 53:22, and Marni Harker with 54:44. Marni's time
might be subject to adjustment since she told me at the finish that
she had snuck in under 54 minutes, and completed with an average of
197 watts. I finished with 54:22, reflecting a 30:49 ride out at 200
watts into the gale, and 23:33 for the shorter leg back. Saturday was
certainly not the day for getting out the fixed gear bike (and no-one
did).

John Cox of Chesapeake Wheelmen led the Masters 65+ category with
52:27 and a decisive 9 minute gap over second place. John regaled me
with tales of his time at Mildenhall/Lakenheath back in 1969, and told
of his rides on the F-1, and being caught by both King Alf and Queen
Beryl.
Stephen_N
j_s_nightingale
Rockville, MD
Post #: 326
========================================­=========
Philadelphia Amateur Time Trial, Saturday June 4th, 2011

Superbly organized 8 mile Time Trial in the heart of downtown Philadelphia, on flat, traffic free roads. Course was on West River Drive, by the Schuylkill River, closed to auto traffic for this event. It's wide. It's flat. It's fast. (Well, as fast as your legs will let it be). Not too many DC local riders travelled up for this, but still there were 284 riders altogether.

Fastest female was Nadia Latzgo of Team Rothrock, with 19:52. Not bad for a 15-16 year old as she just pipped Michelle Mighdoll, a Cat 1 rider who returned in 19:52.8. Fastest overall was John Minturn of Stan's NoTubes who produced 16:33 for a 29mph winning ride.

At the unfashionable end of the field, focus was on whether I and John Meyer of Kensington - a contributor to this blog - could dip under 20 minutes for a 24mph ride. In the event, I rode the red Bob Jackson fixed gear bike to a 20:32. That was a 95rpm ride - just another 3rpm would have got me 'under'. John nailed it: he produced a 19:53. A good ride!

Stephen.
Stephen_N
j_s_nightingale
Rockville, MD
Post #: 328
Carlisle 40K TT, Sunday June 19th, 2011
A relatively wind free day on Walnut Bottom led some fast rides, including 9 under the hour from a modestly sized field of 20. The 40K was won in 55:10 by Brian Hopkins. Local Master 55+ rider Randy Thrasher followed closely with 56:03.

The course is usually hard out and fast back, but a Northerly drift led to slightly faster times on the outbound leg than the return. I did a PR by 2 minutes for this course, taking 31:46 to the turn, and 32:23 home for a total 1:04:09. The joy was only slightly diminished by discovering that the course is actually only 24.2 miles, rather than 40K - which would be 24.8 miles. That's fine now I know: approaching a sub-hour ride should be easier.

Perhaps the twice a week intense intervals are beginning to work.
Stephen_N
j_s_nightingale
Rockville, MD
Post #: 329
Betterton Bay-to-Bay 50 miler, Sunday June 26th, 2011
Super weather for this event: it reached 78 degrees by noon, so relatively cool throughout the morning. They moved the start to the firehouse at the top of the hill: so now you don't have to start with a hill climb up the steepest hill on the entire Eastern Shore. As usual it was organized as a Sportive event and as usual I rode the 50 mile version as a solo Time Trial. The course is Betterton through Galena, then down rte 299 to Millington, and back along 291 into the wind to Chestertown, finishing with the 10 miles back to Betterton. There are no great hills on this route, though several drags, especially on the Millington-Chestertown leg. After a cautious first few miles I opened it up and did 1:04:30 to the half way point at Millington. That was pleasing as it is quicker than my formal 25m/40K PR. Then on the rollers back to Chestertown maintained the pace okay, though it was a bit of a slog after the Chester River Bridge for a mile in the center of Chestertown. The final 10 miles should be a romp home, but I wilted and slogged along at 19mph to finally finish in 2hrs 20mins. Still, 5 minutes better than last year.

Clearly, while the intervals for speed are beginning to work, there's a need to boost the endurance. Anybody up for a couple of circuits of Gambrill Park Road, out of Frederick?