addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

VeloDCity: a Washington Area Bicycling Group Message Board › Frontier Scouting

Frontier Scouting

Stephen_N
j_s_nightingale
Rockville, MD
Post #: 346
Thinking of pushing the boundaries to include Metro-origin rides that go out to interesting destinations. I am certainly planning to re-schedule the Westminster Wurlitzer, which goes from Shady Grove metro to Westminster and back, 37 each way to make a 75 miler. Cafe stop at Birdie's Cafe there as well.

I also want to take the Maryland side of the Metros'n'Ferries route and extend it. A Shady Grove to Jefferson bakery would take in the River Road undulations, up to Adamstown and over Mountville Road which is more 'Mount' than 'ville', and has a nice graded and switch-backed descent. Victual up at the Jefferson bakery, then back over Mountville which now has a graded ascent and a raw brake-smoking descent. Jefferson and back would come in at 100 miles round trip.

But what I would really like to do is take that Shady Grove to Jefferson route and keep going the additional 20 miles to Sharpsburg. That would also include the ascent of Gapland. This would give us 120 miles for the day, and you can actually avoid Gapland on the return trip by coming back through Sandy Hook (with a nasty mile on the Route 340 shoulder though). There are cafes in Sharpsburg, and also an ice cream shop that serves ice cream 'with added attitude' (well, depending on who they employ there these days). The ice cream was very good, last couple of times I had it.

None of these rides are for the faint-hearted or under-prepared. Is there a big enough audience of the resolute to do this (especially Sharpsburg)?

Stephen.
Matt B.
MattBDC
Washington, DC
Post #: 3
I would be up for the double metric or just about any of the variations. The one major caveat is that I am about 5 weeks out from Mountains of Misery. I got a late start in training due to a nasty bout of bronchitis this winter. I consequently have been sticking tightly to the training rides offered by PPTC.
ChrisR
user 6077080
Frankfurt, DE
Post #: 239
I'm game for some longer rides, but it will depend on how they fit into my travel schedule and rides where I've already signed up (and paid the fee).
Al S.
BikeCaseForRent
Potomac, MD
Post #: 203
I'm game for some longer rides, but it will depend on how they fit into my travel schedule and rides where I've already signed up (and paid the fee).
+1
George
user 10910266
Vasilikón, GR
Post #: 11
But what I would really like to do is take that Shady Grove to Jefferson route and keep going the additional 20 miles to Sharpsburg. That would also include the ascent of Gapland. This would give us 120 miles for the day, and you can actually avoid Gapland on the return trip by coming back through Sandy Hook (with a nasty mile on the Route 340 shoulder though).

Stephen.

Could the C&O Canal trail be a (cooler) option on the return trip from Sharpsburg ?

These long unsupported rides need more than strong legs.