addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Ventura Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › AU Ventura April Meeting Questionnaire-?Expelled? Featuring Ben Stein

AU Ventura April Meeting Questionnaire-?Expelled? Featuring Ben Stein

Brian P.
user 2484494
Ventura, CA
Hey All,

Some members, including myself, have expressed the desire to attend the movie ?Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed? as our April 28th meeting for Atheists United Ventura.

Expelled Movie Official Website:
http://www.expelledth...­
The National Center for Science Education?s Response website:
http://www.expelledex...­

It?s a documentary featuring Ben Stein that claims to uncover an apparent conspiracy of academics and scientists who silence proponents of Intelligent Design by denying them tenure, firing them and otherwise refusing to allow then to participate in the academic process. This controversial film has been accused of being a one-sided rally for Intelligent Design supporters and has suffered embarrassing PR flops such as being accused of dishonestly masquerading as a film called ?Crossroads? in order to get interviews with respected scientists, including Richard Dawkins, which they later used to misrepresent their positions and ?expelling? on the of film?s interviewees, PZ Myers, who tried to attend a free screening of the movie with his family.

The Expelled website shows that the movie will be at the Century 10 Theatre on Main Street in Ventura, half a block from our regular meeting spot at the EP Foster Library. Although no times for the showing have been posted yet, I imagine there will be some showing of the film starting between 6pm and 7:30pm on Monday, April 28th that would be convenient for us to attend as a group. We can even maintain our reservation of the Topping Room at the EP Foster Library and reconvene there after the showing to discuss reactions to the film.

The concern has been raised that by attending the movie and paying the admission price to the movie theatre, we would be supporting a movie that very clearly has political and social motives that are at odds with our mission. I understand this concern, however I think many of our members will be attending this movie out of sheer morbid curiosity anyways and would rather do it with a group of people with whom we could talk about it with.

Of course, another option is to hold our regular meeting, which is slated to be a ?movie? meeting and watch part two of Jonathan Miller?s BBC Documentary, ?The History of Disbelief? and then arrange a time other than our official meeting time for those who want to attend to see Expelled so they could see it together.

So I?m seeking to build a consensus of our members. If you plan on attending Atheist United Ventura?s April 28th meeting give me a Yes/No answer to the following questions:

1. Would you attend the screening of ?Expelled? on April 28 in place of our regular meeting?
2. Would you attend a Reaction/Discussion meeting after the movie, back at the EP Foster Library?
3. Would you rather watch Jonathan Miller?s ?History of Disbelief? part II in the Topping Room and preferred that anyone who wants to see ?Expelled? find another time to see it?
4. Were you not planning on coming to the April meeting but would come if we saw ?Expelled??
5. We?re you planning on coming to the April meeting but would not come if we saw ?Expelled??
6. If we didn?t see ?Expelled? during the April meeting, would you be interested in seeing it some other time as part of a group?

Please feel free to respond with whatever opinions you have that require more than a yes/no answer.

Let me know soon so I can figure out what we are going to do and post it to MeetUp.com. If, for some reason, we?d like to see the movie but aren?t interested in a discussion, I need to cancel our Topping Room reservation ASAP.

Thanks!
Brian Parra
venturaatheists@yahoo.com