addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Vancouver Walking Meetup Group Message Board › Grouse Grind beginners hike

Grouse Grind beginners hike

Laura B.
polyglot
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 349
Hi everyone

This may sound crazy, but I've been wanting to try the Grouse Grind for a long time. I'm not in the greatest shape, although I have no problem with endurance on long, flat hikes. Is there anyone else interested in attacking the Grouse Grind slowly???
Jayne
wunderlust
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 16
Hi,
I would do it, as long as it was not on a weekend.
J
irene
user 102279492
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 1
Hi,

I would be very interested in the very slow hike to Grouse Grind.
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi, Laura, I'd be interested in a very slow Grouse Grind hike. - V
Rozmin
user 44102562
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 2
Hello,

I would love to give it a shot. I am not by any means an athelete but do walk regularly at Ambleside. Don't know if this would help or not. Would love to try it out. What would be the worst case scenario. It will depend on when this is going to happen.

Look forward to hearing back from you.
Laura B.
polyglot
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 352
That's a good question. I guess the worst case scenario would be that we don't make it and have to turn around and go back down!
Liz N
user 3603651
North Vancouver, BC
Post #: 12
Hmm, my understanding is that you can't go back down (too many people coming up and narrow trail requires single file). Good luck!
Thomas F.
user 72272392
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 1
Hello Laura: Crazy is good! I've been meaning to get back to the Grind since I arrived in Vancouver just a year ago. I'd like to take it on again with no stop watch ticking away of course. My availability is flexible except for my False Creek Fast Walks Monday, Wednesday and Friday @ 6pm which you know about of course. Let's do this! Cheers Thomas!
Kathy
user 5397459
New Westminster, BC
Post #: 3
I did the Grind decades ago before it was popular & not known as the "Grind". Forty years later I'm not in the greatest shape either so I'm game to definitely go slowly.
Laura B.
polyglot
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 353
I'm glad to see so many positive responses. The Grouse Mountain website says, "On average it takes up to an hour and a half to complete the hike. For novice hikers, two hours is recommended." My thought is to aim to do it in 3 hours. Anybody's thoughts on that?