addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Weston A. Price Foundation - London Chapter Message Board › Breast Feeding vs Formula

Breast Feeding vs Formula

Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
In recent days a number of people on the web have been criticizing the Weston A. Price Foundation for their position on breast feeding. The Foundation's position has been clear for many years and is written up in numerous articles. It is as follows:
from Best to Worst:

- Breast milk from well nourished mothers [see dietary recommendations]
- Breast milk from donors who are well nourished
- Homemade baby formula from the Foundation's own recipe, made with raw whole milk
- Breast milk from mothers who are likely lacking in nutrients due to a less than nutrient dense diet
- Commercial formula (with additional supplementation)
- Breast milk from vegan mothers

A number of people have been falling over themselves to criticize the Foundation's concern that breast milk from vegans is the worst form of baby feeding. Unfortunately, formula milk will have some nutrients, necessary to the development of a baby which are lacking in the breast milk of a vegan. The dangerous suggestion, promoted by the NHS and other establishment organizations, that breast is best, regardless of the status of the mother, has caused significant damage to a great number of mothers and babies, unlike the many who have been saved by the Weston A. Price Foundation's homemade baby formula recipe.

Yes, there are wider benefits from breast feeding, but the Foundation believes that nutrition is the foundation upon which baby health develops. There are numerous articles on the topic in the Foundation's Children's Health section, including testimonials for our raw milk formula:
- http://www.westonapri...­

Sally's response is that:
"A number of people are chastising the Foundation for making people feel guilty because their diet isn't "perfect",, some people may feel angry or guilty but a lot of Moms have taken our advice to heart and had beautiful, healthy babies"

Except from "Breastfeeding Saga"

"Breastfeeding is the best way to accomplish this goal, if the mother has a healthy diet and if her milk supply is adequate. To pretend that all women can breastfeed without difficulty, and that all breast-milk is completely nourishing, does women and their children a great disservice. Let's not withhold information as my pediatrician did when I was having difficulties. Women need to know that there are other options besides commercial formula, and that a healthy supplement can be given to a hungry baby even while he suckles at the breast."

http://www.westonapri...­
Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 1,656
A couple comments below from Sally:

I once had a dentist tell me that in one year he had 9 babies brought in, all of their teeth coming in rotten. They were all fully breastfed--by vegetarian mothers. One mother was head of the local LLL chapter.

We had a gal in our store last week with the same thing, her fully breastfed baby had all his teeth coming in rotten, she had been a vegetarian.

Just giving B12 does not solve this problem.

With commercial formula, as awful as it is, this does not happen. That's why I put the commercial formula as a choice before nursing by a vegan mom.

Really, it is hard to supplement to make the vegan diet adequate. Vegans need vitamins A, D, K, B12, B6, zinc, calcium, iron and probably a lot more.

In addition to rampant tooth decay in the breastfed babies of vegans, rickets is frequent, including subclinical rickets that is often interpreted as shaken baby syndrome.

The scientific literature has many reports of breastfed babies of vegan mothers suffering from rickets.

A lot of this controversy stemmed from a podcast that Sarah Pope did a few weeks ago on breastfeeding, where she stressed the importance of a good diet while breastfeeding.

We are being accused of making people feel guilty because their diet isn't "perfect." But I don't know how else to give the information, just a factual description of what we think a good diet is. Some people may feel angry or guilty, but a lot of moms have taken our advice to heart and had beautiful healthy babies.

Some members of this critical group chastise us for the baby formula recipe, saying that because this formula recipe is available, some mothers don't breastfeed. I doubt this is true but again, the point is, should we withhold the formula recipe for this reason? This formula has saved so many babies, we get expressions of gratitude every week. And very often it is a case of the baby not doing well on breast milk but thriving on the formula. What is more important, breastfeeding for breastfeeding's sake or healthy babies?
Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 1,657
I received an email from a supporter suggesting that WAPF literature is not "friendly" to vegans. I would say it is neither friendly nor unfriendly. It simply states a biochemical position that veganism is dangerous. If one suggests to a heavy drinker that this could cause liver disease, one is not being unfriendly to the heavy drinker.

Softening the stance on this issue would end up with the Foundation being just like any other compromised group, and you would find bad information, which is no good for anybody if they want strong, healthy babies.