addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Weston A. Price Foundation - London Chapter Message Board › Isigny Ste Mere Unpasteurised Butter

Isigny Ste Mere Unpasteurised Butter

Richard
user 113027452
London, GB
Post #: 1
Hi,

I've seen a few discussions here about the raw butter you can buy from Waitrose. I emailed them a week ago and this was their response:

Hello Richard,
Thank you for your interest in our products.
The Isigny raw butter that you can find in Waitrose is 100% raw. There is neither a pasteurisation nor a microfiltration in the process.
The milk is, however, highly selected and the products are conform to our quality standards.
Kind regards
Caroline
Isigny Sainte Mère

What do you guys think?

Tosin
user 110366572
London, GB
Post #: 15
The last line is a bit vague but otherwise encouraging!! I bought 14 packs (7 salted, 7 unsalted) from Waitrose the other week so this makes me feel a bit better! I'm sure other WAPF "experts" on this board would be better able to decipher messages like this. I know on their website they say their butter is grass fed. So to find grassfed raw butter as widely available (relatively speaking) as this is, at such a reasonable price would be a big windfall! The butter is actually also cultured, I think. Looking at the ingredients list it says, unpasteurised cow's milk and lactic starters. That means cultured butter right? Even better!
Phillippa L.
user 72246762
Ventnor, GB
Post #: 10
Richard, did your email about the butter (mentioning that it is not from microfiltered milk) come from Waitrose, or was it written by the producer?
Richard
user 113027452
London, GB
Post #: 2
It was a direct reply from Isigny Ste Mere. I also emailed them a long time ago asking if the cows were grass fed -finished and the reply was also positive but vague!? I think if someone could speak fluent French they may get a clearer answer to the questions?
Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 1,736
I would also ask, with continental producers, whether products are thermalised, since this is a lower temperature heating than pasteurised, but does not qualify as raw. Some unpasteurised cheeses for example may be thermalised, so what we seek is raw, which could be neither.
Tim
user 28774772
London, GB
Post #: 51
Was just about to ask that question.

By the way how hot is the temperature when thermalising?
Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 1,737
From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.o...­
Samuel
user 119255482
London, GB
Post #: 5
Very vague indeed. I know it seems arduous but i recently started making my own better and it is not particularly difficult - granted, it doesn't taste as lovely as the store-bought brands that i succumb to every now and again.

I don't have shot-put hands either so i eschew the wholly manual method and use a trusty electric whisk.