addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Weston A. Price Foundation - London Chapter Message Board › Lacto fermented juice and rice alternatives

Lacto fermented juice and rice alternatives

Gron
Gron
London, GB
Post #: 47
I made my first batch of lacto fermented drinks using a Ginger bug last week and I finally got to try them! Nice! I fermented juice I bought from the supermarket (Cherrygood and Mango and Orange). For some reason I can only find organic juice from concentrate, is that ok? Waitrose sell a non pasterized orange juice not from concentrate, what would be better?

How much of it should I be drinking a day? I'm losing weight at the moment and it's going well (almost 5 stone!) so I'm a bit worried about having too much sugar (how much sugar does the fermenting process take out?).

I'm also looking for a low phytate alternative to brown rice. I'd rather not eat it any more since my teeth are in a terrible state and soaking isn't an option here unfortunately (we've been eating a lot of brown rice pasta too).

Thanks!
Tim
user 28774772
London, GB
Post #: 55
Nothing from concentrate is good so waitrose would be the better alternative.

In regards to how much you should be drinking, only you can know. Calories in v calories out doesn't matter where the calories come from in terms of weight loss.

White rice? could buy the gelatinous rice or make some your own, the stuff is suppose to be quite good for digestion. Mixed with tinned beans/peas possibly.
Gron
Gron
London, GB
Post #: 48
I've stayed off the drinks for a few days and the weight is coming off easier, maybe I'll ferment some veg instead for now.

Would Buckwheat be a better alternative to rice?
Tim
user 28774772
London, GB
Post #: 57
A variety of properly prepared grains would be better than just one form. The body works better on diverse and moderate amounts of food, staves off boredom and prevents any excess side effects. In terms of calories brown rice has less. However Buckwheat is apparently good for insulin sensitivity and a better bio-available source of protein.

If i were you id be thinking of how convenient it is for me to prepare the grains and how long im willing to take cooking up the grains as well. I can't spend an hour waiting for something to cook however sub 20 minutes is fine, if i can batch cook the stuff and change the recipe as well i.e. boiled rice one day, fried rice the next works even better as fried rice cooks faster and tastes nice a day after anyways which is ideal. If i already have meat batch cooked in the fridge then i wouldn't mind committing the slow cooker for brown rice using one of sally's recipes either.