addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Pittsburgh Whole Food Nutrition Meetup Message Board › Any Paleo folks?

Any Paleo folks?

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi all!

I am new to the group and would like to connect with local folks following the Paleo food plan! I was hoping to find a Paleo Meetup group in Pgh, but could not find any. Hopefully there are some Paleo-minded folks here.

:)

~stephy

A former member
Post #: 2
Hi Stephy,
I'm paleo too! I'm pretty much 90/10 paleo so I do indulge in non-paleo foods from time to time (once a month, approx.) I've been eating this way for about a year and have never felt better.
What's your paleo history? Maybe we can share recipes, find others like us, etc.
Jill

Hi all!

I am new to the group and would like to connect with local folks following the Paleo food plan! I was hoping to find a Paleo Meetup group in Pgh, but could not find any. Hopefully there are some Paleo-minded folks here.

:)

~stephy

A former member
Post #: 8
I do mostly Paleo as well - I'd say also about 90% depending on what is going on in life. I've been doing it since the first of the year and have never felt healthier. I had come to a stand still losing weight till I changed to the Paleo eating.
A former member
Post #: 2
yay! it's awesome to find other Paleo-minded folks here in pittsburgh!

i'm a newbie to Paleo (starting my 2nd month) but i love it! i was vegetarian for more than 10 years, so this is quite a change, but i am feeling great and the weight is melting off! :)

~stephy
A former member
Post #: 3
oh, i forgot to ask....what Paleo/Primal resources have you found, locally?

there is a blog i follow: The Food Lovers' Primal Palate the blogging couple is from pittsburgh. :)

what restaurants & markets do you like?

i usually hit Market District and Whole Foods, for groceries. i'm looking forward to farmers market season! oh, and i might make a trip out to Soergels Orchards...just found out they carry grass-fed beef.

for eating out (i haven't tried that since going Paleo) i might try Moe's...they offer grass-fed sirloin. i saw some Facebook chatter about Chipotle restaurants serving naturally raised/pastured meats. i was hoping to hit Fuddrucker's at the Waterfront (they serve bison burgers) but they are now closed. there is a new burger joint that opened in that spot...Pittsburgh Burger Company, i think...their website mentioned something about natural angus beef. so that might be another possibility.

~stephy
A former member
Post #: 9
I also follow the Food Lover's Primal Palate - great website. I do the same for the grocery stores and find depending on the location some of the Giant Eagles carry a decent selection. I've also found some great nitrate-free sausage at Costco. I'm not 100% grass-fed beef - I will when I can but for a family of 3 I just can't afford all grass-fed/organic all the time. I'm so ready for farmers markets to get more local stuff and keep telling myself I need to find time to utilize the Strip District more. I've heard the East End Co-op is great as well.

When I go out to eat I just try to stick with what I know are Paleo options and realize it's probably not 100% cause the grilled chicken or steak probably has butter, etc. I saw on the Primal Palate blog they went to Legumes - looks like a place I'd love to check out - they are moving to Oakland so hoping when they move I can go eat there. I have a friend who does Paleo and said the Pittsburgh Burger Company was great but I haven't had a chance to check it out!

I love hearing where people find the best places/prices to get local options. This is all new and I'm fairly new to Pittsburgh so I'm always learning new things!
A former member
Post #: 3
I'm friends with the Food Lovers! Great people who really love good food.

As far as my sources for paleo things around the Burgh, I think Whole Foods has the best meat around (grocery store wise), but I'm in the process of trying to find out where I can buy grass-fed beef and free-range poultry direct from farms. There are plenty of sources around the Western PA area, but since I live in a small apartment with a small fridge/freezer I don't have the luxury of buying half a cow and freezing much of it.

In my experience the Co-op isn't the very best resource for meats - very small section, things are vacuumed packed in plastic, sometimes frozen. It's not the worst, but I just think that WF has a much better selection.

Is anyone interested in having a Paleo meet up sometime? It seems there are only three of us, so perhaps we can meet in the Whole Foods cafe and chat, share recipes, talk about resources, etc. I know Hayley and Bill from the Food Lovers would be interested too. Just throwing that out there.

I know there are many many Paleo folks who also go to various CrossFit affiliates around town. The one I go to on the North Side (CrossFit Confluence) has had paleo parties and cookouts a few times. There are more Paleo folks out there than it would seem from this list!
A former member
Post #: 1
Just wanted to throw out there that there are many good sources for local, grass fed meats. You can check out Clarion River and the other farmers down at the Pittsburgh Public Market and also order from Green Circle Farm (these meats are pastured, grass fed, organic and soy free, located out Bessemer way)for delivery. I love the Kennedys down at the East Liberty Cooperative indoor farmer's market. Farmer's at Firehouse is another great source, they will be opening soon (I am pretty sure in May).
A former member
Post #: 10
This is all great info! I'd love to meet up sometime to chat. I'm still new to Paleo and trying to learn all I can. I go to Integrated Fitness CrossFit in Bethel Park. I started there in Oct which is what got me started on Paleo because I wasn't having any success with losing weight.
A former member
Post #: 15
yay! it's awesome to find other Paleo-minded folks here in pittsburgh!

i'm a newbie to Paleo (starting my 2nd month) but i love it! i was vegetarian for more than 10 years, so this is quite a change, but i am feeling great and the weight is melting off! :)

~stephy

how did you justify the change from veg to paleo in your mind? i am curious. were you only veg for health reasons and not due to animal compassion?