XR (AR,VR,MR) Development Study Group
XR means Extended Reality. It refers to all real and virtual environments generated by computer graphics and wearables. It is an umbrella word that groups all Augmented, Virtual, and Mixed Reality!
✨To start 2023 with a strong commitment, we are running a Unity Pathway Challenge along with the usual XR study session✨
Unity is a cross-platform Game engine that is not only popular for 2D and 3D game development but is also one of the main platforms for XR.
The goal is to complete one of the following Unity Pathways within 13 weeks (8 meetup sessions):
Choosing a Unity Pathway to study during the session is optional. You are also free to participate in a project or topic of your choice (related to XR).
💻 We will share the ZOOM link on the day of the event.
- Friday, 19:30 to 21:30 JST (GMT+9)
- 👀 For the best experience for our members, please note that admission will close at 19:45.
📌 Week 1 - AGENDA:
- 19:30 - 19:35 - Opening.
- 19:35 - 19:50 - ✨ Unity Pathway Challenge session 5.
- 19:50 - 20:00 - 👋 Introductions and sharing what you aim to work on in this session.
- 20:00 - 21:15 - 👩💻 Self-learning time.
We turn off the cameras and mute the audio. We can ask questions via chat or voice.
- 21:15 - 21:30 - Share what you accomplished during this session.
About Unity Pathway challenge:
Who can join?
- All paths are free of charge and designed for beginners.
- If you are completely new to programming, then we suggest starting with Unity Essentials.
- If you have a small experience with some programming language, or you are a seasoned developer but new to Unity, you will get the basics you need to start developing games or XR applications. (Jr. Programmer path)
- If you are a designer or interested in learning about VFX, Lighting, Animation, Audio, UI, and becoming a creator. (Creative Core).
- The Pathways includes fun projects that you can use to start building a portfolio.
- Learn, have fun, and build your skills with a supportive community.
- Get the fundamentals of Game design and application development (easily transferable to AR/VR applications).
- Earn badges from Unity and show your skills!
- Make friends and stay motivated with our driven and kind community.
📅 Period of the challenge:
From January 20th to April 21st.
How to join?
- Create your Women Who Code Profile if it is your first time participating in WWCode events.
- Request access to WWCode Slack here, and join our channel #xr-developers for weekly participation at your own time.
- Join the bi-weekly XR Study Session to meet the community and share your progress.
- We encourage you to share weekly your progress, projects, and questions, and to cheer on other participants' achievements, either in Slack or at the Meetup sessions.
📌 INSPIRATION FOR BEGINNERS AND OTHER RESOURCES 📚
📌 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS: 🤔
Can I still join and study other XR topics?
- Yes. You are welcome to join our normal study session and focus on the XR topic of your selection.
I’m learning about this challenge after the start date. Can I still participate?
- Yes. Even if you cannot complete the challenge on this first run, you can benefit from the progress discussion and Q&A we share in Slack and the study sessions.
I’m new to programming, can I join?
I’m an experienced engineer, is this event for me?
- All levels are welcome! Being part of a community helps to keep accountability and move stronger towards your goals even if we are at different levels. Women who code is about empowering others to learn new skills and thrive in the tech industry, you can help us with this mission!
Are you teaching about XR or programming?
- No, this is a SELF-STUDY session. We have personal study time, and then we share our topic or project and connect with other people with similar interests.
I’m a man, can I join?
👀 CODE OF CONDUCT ⚠️
Women Who Code is dedicated to providing an empowering experience for everyone who participates in, or supports our community. Our events are intended to inspire women to excel in technology careers, and anyone here for this purpose is welcome. Because we value the safety and security of our members and strive to have an inclusive community, we do not tolerate harassment of members or event participants in any form.
👉 Please read our Code of Conduct
XR (AR,VR,MR) Development Study Group