addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Greater Worcester Humanists Message Board Greater Worcester Humanists Discussion Forum › Are you agnostic or atheist? Let's talk.

Are you agnostic or atheist? Let's talk.

A former member
Post #: 3
Anyone agnostic or atheist?
Send me a message.
I'd love to share our views. Sick of feeling like the minority here.

Allison : )
A former member
Post #: 8
Hi Allison,

I have felt for many years like the minority in many things. It has been difficult as I consider myself an agnostic atheist/skeptic/humanist. My bf and I usually attend the Atheists of Greater Lowell meetups, however we do travel to some further meetups including some great gatherings hosted by the GWH. Attending/hosting some small events is one way that has helped me feel more confident with my non-belief. smile

Lindsay
A former member
Post #: 7
thanks Lindsay, good to know!laughing
Robyn F.
user 10837891
Worcester, MA
Post #: 1
Hi Allison;

My name is Robyn - I am a member of the GWH. My husband and I joined this group over a year ago because we felt the same way - alone.

I strongly urge you to try to find a humanist group to join - Boston has multiple active atheist humanist groups, but you're looking at an hour at a minimum from New Bedford. If you are interested in Boston, check out the Boston Atheists - these people have a very big social group and they attend alot of events in the Boston area.

I believe that there is a very active humanist group(s) in Providence. If you search this meetup site for atheist/humanist in rhode island you should come up with the name(s). I dont know alot about them but when I first signed up here I did look at their page - it seemed that they hold a lot of social type meetups (restaurants/discussions) that sound like fun.

I don't know much about the humanist group in Lowell, but I do know that the group in Concord is relatively new.

Good Luck - you are welcome to come to the GWH meetings anytime. Our next meeting is Tuesday, 2/7.

A former member
Post #: 8
Hey Robyn
I'm glad someone can relate and good advise. I plan on moving to Providence or Boston when school is done so I can be closer to that community.It would be much less of a commute. Hope to meet you at one of the meetups.

smile
Allison
Dave
AHADave
Fitchburg, MA
Post #: 11
Most humanists are atheist/agnostic, even if some don't openly identify as such. Some who don't believe in a god will nevertheless shun the term "atheist," usually because they feel the word is too vilified. The general sense in organized humanism nowadays, however, is that we shouldn't avoid the word "atheist" but rather that we should use it more frequently, so that people realize there is nothing wrong with it. Anyway, Aly, that's a long way of answering your question - probably just about everyone in GWH is atheist or agnostic, or at least very sympathetic to such views.