addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Seattle Shiba Inu Enthusiasts Club Message Board › Shiba's Off Lease

Shiba's Off Lease

Justin
user 5754890
Seattle, WA
Post #: 2
Just curious, with all the writing on the walls pointing to not good off leash, how do Shibas fare in agility shows? This is what I was looking at heading torwards once we find our Shiba.
Jim
user 3848942
Gresham, OR
Post #: 24
Hey all

I learned the hard way. I thought Akira was ready to be off-leash too. She was great 99% of the time. Always came running back for Chicken. She actually got out at a dog park and was hit by a car. I am lucky to say she survived, but in the accident her pelvis was fractured. She has healed nicely but I am Leary about EVER taking her off leash again. Not to mention the Thousands of dollars I spent to have her put back together.

They are a primitive dog.....
A former member
Post #: 38
Jim I'm so sorry to hear about Akira! Poor pup! I'm so glad she has recovered. Happy holidays!
Shibaguyz
ShibaGuyz
Seattle, WA
Post #: 80
Justin, To answer your question there are at least two members of this group that compete in agility with their Shibas. Shibas are smart and agile. That said, Shibas are also independent and head-strong. It is certainly not out of the question for you to do agility with a Shiba but my personal experience and most folks I have spoken to agree that it usually needs to be done on their terms.

It will also depend on the dog's disposition and personality. Atlas is an excellent candidate for agility he is speedy and loves to please his owners... Apollo couldn't care less and is afraid to jump off the couch let alone a high hurdle.

Best of luck!
Jason
Louisa and S.
LouisaandStella
Seattle, WA
Post #: 9
This is a response to Justin's question about shibas and agility. Stella and I successfully trained in agility for two and a half years. She has several ribbons and legs toward a title. We haven't completed one yet, since we are currently taking a break due to my work schedule.

As far as a shiba's natural ability to do agility -- they are certainly intelligent and athletic enough to partake in the sport. However, each individual dog has its personality. Although Stella enjoys agility, I would never expect her to have the drive of a Border Collie. She is very independent, which creates a special training consideration for me. LOL

During training and trials, the dogs compete off lead and do not wear collars during trials (varies with each sponsoring organization). We have had a few embarrassing mishaps when Stella would not leash up at the end of her run. She wasn't ready for her turn to be over! As a result, our qualifying run was changed to an elimination -- phooey! This is just another element of training to work on.

You may want to ask some others about their experiences in agility. Rebecca Roase has competed well beyond our level of training as have others. I think she is at the elite level... Agility is a blast! I hope you will give it a try. Good luck!
A former member
Post #: 1
I can't get it off my mind. I was chasing my shiba around with my car this afternoon. She could possibly get hit by a car or I could get in a car accident because all I care about was getting her back. Thankfully everything is fine and I just found her in time. So I was researching about shiba's getting off the leash and see if there is any hope for my shiba. I did not know about the running opposite direction trick. I should try that sometime.

Sonya (my dog) is always chasing that squirrel above the tree outside of my apartment. But this time, she pulled too strong and her leash snaped. It was the first time this happened so I panicked and tried to chase her around. After figuring out that I cannot possibly get her because she was just too fast, I quickly got my car and tried to look for her. Drove around the block for a couple mins till I found her in the corner. She won't even listen to me. She just kept running. I just tried to follow and praying she will stay right by the street and wont get into small corners/alleys. I think she got scared with too many cars in the big highway so she slowed down and turned around. Luckily someone helped me and hold her down while I get off my car and get her. confused
A former member
Post #: 31
It's wonderful that you caught her before anyone (she or you) were hurt! I know I am always worried about it too because we live near a very busy street. In a park when Willow has gotten away but was still nearby- we tried to not panic & played that we are fascinated by something on the ground. She came over to check it out & then we could grab her. I think you are right to think that you should not run after Sonya- run off at an angle & she will probably follow you.