addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Shawn
user 3550982
Washington, DC
Post #: 6
Hey Everyone--

Can anyone recommend a tutor in either SF or the East Bay? Ideally I'd be working on material in MSA (news, literature, etc) , but the discussions would be in either Egyptian or Levantine dialect (Syrian). I'd prefer Syrian.

Thanks!

Shawn
Farah Jahan Siddiq...
FafaB
Union City, CA
Post #: 73
Ahlan Shawn!

My good friend, Hassan Alnawar is an Arabic language tutor who tutors for the Monterey Language Institute. He lives in the East Bay in El Cerrito (just next to Berkeley). Hassan is Iraqi and knows MSA very well (he has a degree in Arabic Literature from Iraq) as well as Egyptian and Iraqi dialect. I'm not sure if he knows Syrian (Levantine) dialect, but he's excellent for MSA. I had a tutoring session with him earlier this year and I highly recommend him.

Here is Hassan's contact information:
Hassan Alnawar
(916) 718-4028

Shawn, just tell him that Farah Bullara sent you.

Good luck,
Farah
Shawn
user 3550982
Washington, DC
Post #: 7
Thanks for the recommendation, Farah. I desperately need to begin meeting with someone to maintain the Arabic level I have, as it is quickly deteriorating. I will give Hassan a call soon and see what he and I can work out. Hopefully if I speak in Egyptian or Shami we can still make it work somehow.

Tahiyaati ,

Shawn