What we’re about
We meet periodically in Sydney or on-line via Zoom,
for an informative and informal seminar where we think, listen, talk, eat and enjoy fascinating discussions.
Are you ...
* curious about things - want to make sense of the world, searching for better understanding?
* interested in self-improvement?
* concerned about developing clear thinking?
* concerned with critical thinking and seeking to become a more critical thinker?
* wanting to improve communicating skills?
* wanting to improve relationships (at home, in the office, among friend, etc.)?
* wanting a general method to use to make improvements in any area?
* with a philosophical bent... someone who just likes to think about things?
* concerned with our human situation?
Well, our General Semantics meetings may be of interest to you!!
About General Semantics (GS):-
- the study of the structure of symbol systems (particularly language) and how it affects thought and actions.
- how we perceive, construct, evaluate and communicate our life experiences,
- the inter-related effects of language and symbols on our attitudes and behaviours,
- an interdisciplinary system with practical applications for everyday living,
- a methodology of guided awareness to better understand and evaluate our experiences and reactions,
- a point of view that applies a scientific way of thinking to the challenges of everyday problem solving,
- a teachable framework for critical thinking, media literacy and personal responsibility.
General Semantics was the brainchild of Alfred Korzybski, He theorised that the
attitudes and methodologies responsible for advancements in the sciences, and mathematics
could be applied to the daily affairs of individuals, and ultimately cultures. He called this new
field General Semantics and introduced it as a practical, teachable system in his groundbreaking
1933 book,Science and Sanity.
This work is a fundamental building block in many diverse disciplines including RET and NLP.