What we're about
Hello and Welcome,
We are a group of avid campers with a love for the bush and the free / low cost campsites that Victoria and beyond has to offer with a bit of 4 wheel driving thrown in.
We have regular trips that fall into various categories which will be indicated when an event is posted :
1. 2wd camp and chill.
2. 2wd base camp next to 4x4 tracks
3. 4wd only base camping
4. 4wd touring 2 – 7 days or more/interstate.
The majority of our trips are around 2wd accessible campsites often with minimal facilities, ie: drop toilet (or none), fire pits, stream/river/lake, but are also close to 4WD tracks for when the off road itch beckons. Those without a 4wd are welcome to tag along as a passenger if room permits or you can just hang out at the campsite and enjoy camping at your own pace, there are no set itineraries. We generally meet back at the campsite for happy hour(s) around the fire and settle in for the night. We employ a general "no hero no dickhead" policy which hopefully is self-explanatory...….we’re not into hooning or ripping up campsites and use “leave no trace” principles. You bring it in, you take it out!! We respect each other and other campers.
When not camping we may do some day trips close to Melbourne or the occasional urban escapade for dinner or drinks.
Anyone can organise a meet up so feel free to post a trip that you would like to share. If you are unsure how to set one up we are happy to assist. We are also a family friendly group so bring the whole family if you can’t manage to get away from them and furry friends (dogs, horses, camels) are okay too depending if the chosen area allows it.
Now for a few boring yet important pieces of information.
- Personal responsibility: Bush Turkeys take no responsibility for any mishaps that may occur for any organised event. This meetup group is not a formal association or organization and have no public liability insurance. It is up to each individual to make sure they are capable of any activities attempted. All individuals who sign-up for the events automatically agree to take individual responsibility for their actions and will not hold the organizer liable.
- None of us are making money out of these trips, we don't charge for the trips, nor do we ask for donations. This means that we are not operating commercially and we are not professionals in this field. We don't do reconnaissance trips to assess track conditions and sometimes we take the wrong turn and end up on tracks that we haven't attempted…….it’s more fun that way. We have no insurance covering damages to your car, we don't provide lunch and drinks but we will share.
- All the organisers are volunteers. They go out bush to have fun and enjoy themselves as much as anyone else. With that in mind please keep your RSVP up to date so organisers and members are not waiting for you to arrive and worried that you’re lost or have had an accident on the way to the campsite or meeting point. It does not take much to log into Meetup and change your RSVP. If you can't make it and if there is a waiting list, then your spot will be attributed to someone else.
- We will make all the efforts to adapt the difficulty of 4wd trips to suit the less capable vehicle/driver. There is no shame in not wanting to engage in activities that we don't feel comfortable with. Likewise, we will never abandon someone in difficulty.
- Recoveries and breakdown can happen from time to time. They are yours to manage. If you don't have a roadside assistance, we recommend you check out the RACV Total Care package. It is worth every cent.
With all that said we hope we see you on a trip around the fire with us. Cheers.